+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This is my experience in Canada

D

deva

I was a doctor in Bangladesh and I was working as assistant professor in a medical college and at the same time practicing as a consultant. My wife was also a doctor. We decided to migrate to Canada because we believed Canada is the greatest country in the world. We also considered about the future of our two daughters. We talked to many people and did a lot of research and were delighted to learn that Canada has a doctor shortage and if we move to Canada we will be able to serve the people, find reasonable source of income, and contribute to the progress and development of Canada. We continuously monitored the news and websites and read news and articles about immigration and social trends in Canada. We observed that Minister of immigration was continuously talking with the different interest groups and organizations for more than a year and then made a final list of skill shortage. I remember minister talked to Canadian Medical Council, Medical Association of Canada, Federal and Provincial Medical Agencies and other interest groups and different organizations representing the interest of people. Almost everybody agreed that Canada needs immigrant doctors.
We were very happy and thought that we made a very wise decision. We knew that to get license to practice in Canada we will need to appear in several examinations. We started collecting the books and materials, started our preparation and decided to appear in the examinations after we arrive at Canada. The whole process of immigration took less than one year. We landed in Toronto on April 6, 2010. That was a memorable day in our life. We were exhausted after a long journey. During our last days in Bangladesh we had to do many things. I left my job and did not get any benefit for doing my job for more than 15 years. I left my practice and patients behind me. They felt like forbidden and deserted and might also believe I was not faithful. I left my family and friends too. They were not at all happy. I knew life and things will not be same for us again. But we were dreaming and planning our new life in Canada and did not care for anybody’s feelings.
So, we were tired and exhausted. The immigration law forces one to bring at least 20,000 Canadian dollars to Canada as financial security for family consisting of four members. My country did not allow us to carry more than 8000 dollars as immigration and revenue rules restrict the amount of international currency one can carry out of the country. So, we could not bring enough money and had to leave everything behind us.
We were really very tired when we arrived in Toronto on April 6, 2010. But there were dreams in our eyes. We lived in a guest house in Toronto for four days and then shifted to an apartment in 20 Teesdale Place, near Victoria Park Subway Station. We had to open an account in a bank and do some other essential things which every immigrant has to do in their first few days in Canada. We started buying furniture and spent a lot. We could buy old furniture but as a doctor my wife did not like to buy old furniture. We were very happy and dreaming.
On our fourth day in the apartment a man knocked at our door and introduced him as Kareh, a representative from Rogers. We were delighted because we were feeling the need to get a land phone line and did not know what to do. The man told us that Rogers was giving excellent service and going to give us three months service free of charge. He was persisting and we also were eager. I bought a mobile phone from Bell a few days ago and Mr. Kareh, although he had his own phone used my mobile phone to call Rogers and arranged for my connection. We did not understand many things what he said and believed everything what he said and considered him as a friend. He almost forced us to make a contract and said that we would get our connection on April 15. We were very eager to call our friends and near ones in Bangladesh and bought phone cards from a nearby supermarket as our Rogers package did not include international calls and started making phone calls to Bangladesh. Next two weeks we remained busy attending a workshop in Neighbourhood link Organization. We met other new immigrants and started sharing our experience. They were also very skilled did good jobs back home. We were occasionally hearing about some bad things but did not care.
Our first surprise came when we got the Rogers bill. We knew that we did not have to pay any charges for next three months but in the bill they charged us for making international calls. I talked to them and sent them email explaining that we always used phone cards for calling Bangladesh. But they were rigid and arrogant. I talked to the phone card company. That was also of no use. We thought there was some mistake and convinced ourselves and made ourselves belief that we made the mistake without knowing what was the mistake. The result was that we lost confidence in us and we stopped calling Bangladesh. One interesting thing was that Rogers repeatedly asked us to use Rogers phone cards instead of using phone cards from other companies for calling Bangladesh and offered us many options though the options were far more costly than using the phone cards from other companies. We stopped making international calls altogether and started feeling lonelier. We started losing faith.
We started looking for jobs and began getting the real experience of job market. I went several places and asked for a job and was surprised when they told me that they do not hire doctors for sales and related jobs. I told them I was interested to do the job and according to their advertisement no experience was required for the job and also I was healthy and interested for the job and ready to do anything needed to get the job done, but they were not interested to hire me. My wife was also looking for a job and at last found one after three months. But after she worked for three days the owner of the flower and gift store told her that that they did not require her any more and also she did not have any experience for the job. For three days in her job she worked hard and worked continuously to satisfy the customers from two PM to 9 PM. There were Father’s day and other ceremonies and festivities around. So there were a lot of customers in the store. The owner needed somebody urgently. When this was over the number of customers declined and they did not need my wife’s help anymore and they also did not have to show her any formality. Strange! We were surprised and my wife, although she was feeling depressed, started looking for a job again. I was also looking for a job. From the first day I continued sending my resume by email to prospective employers. I did not find any result. I went to several stores and shops and I was moving and looking for any new job openings everywhere. I started carrying my resume with me and kept on distributing like a salesman. Every owner and supervisor I talked told me straightway that they were not interested to hire any one without experience though in most of the cases in the advertisement for the job they did not mention about any experience needed and also most of the time mentioned that training will be given after recruitment. Our bank balance was alarming us. I was always consulting with others and tried to find what they were doing and how they were trying to adjust with the situation. I was feeling very depressed. I learnt from them that they tried to work with the employment placement agencies but most of the time employment agents placed them in very low paid labour positions in construction sites and factories and that was also for irregular terms.
Then we got the telephone bill from Rogers. In my contract it was mentioned that after three months of promotion we will be able to downgrade our phone and cable service and so I requested them to downgrade my service in June and got an email from the customer service department with a letter of confirmation mentioning that our service will be degraded after our free time limit expires on July 14. I also received other documents mentioning that the three months time limit is rigid and nobody can change it. They sent me the copy of contract signed by Rogers, the terms and an invoice showing the expected future bill and mentioned that these documents would be used for future reference. I was surprised to find that the bill was totally different from the suggested bills they sent to me previously as documents. I was also surprised to find that they charged me for previous cable connection which they were supposed to degrade. When I called them I heard different explanations from different persons and everybody referred me to some one else and none gave me the proper answer. One of them also surprised me by saying that I was using an extra cable connection. I told her that I was not using any extra cable connection and I was using only one TV. In my contract there was no mentioning about extra connection but they persisted on charging me for using extra connection and that was more than 7 dollars. I started sending emails and attached the documents which they sent me as reference but nobody wanted to see the documents and tried to realize what happened or confess their mistakes and continued to argue with me and repeatedly told me that they do not understand what I was saying. Ms. Janice, an employee at Rogers, in her reply mentioned that she is afraid to open the attached documents because she was afraid of security. I did not know what to say. I am still waiting to see good sense prevail upon them.
Now, we are feeling really depressed and helpless. We are losing our hope and we have started feeling desperate and do not know what will happen next. As we were looking for jobs we also considered different other options. We attended different seminars and workshops for immigrant health professionals. Everywhere we went they were repeatedly mentioning how difficult it would be for us to get license to practice and it would be easier for us to choose alternative options. When participants in those seminars asked the organizers and speakers about the possible options they mentioned about Personal Support Worker positions, security positions in the health clinics and as nursing assistants. They also mentioned about work in voluntary positions. But they failed to answer how we will earn and manage our families they could not answer. While doctors asked them whether they could arrange any educational courses so that doctors could prepare for their examinations or whether there was any funds or loans for attending courses for licensing examinations or for fees for examinations they remained silent. There only interest was to find doctors who would be interested to work as personal support workers in privately run clinic and nursing homes. It was Interesting to know that to become a PSW a doctor would need to attend a course and pay fees.
We are very happy because our daughters are happy and they like their school. We feel encouraged when my daughters, after going to their schools only for two months, get awards and recognition for their merit and academic performance. We feel encouraged when we see the enthusiasm among the teachers. We feel very happy to see Ms. Patty Hill at the Neighbourhood Link, who takes all the troubles to arrange summer camps for my daughters and enjoy their company and take great care. We are also happy because we met many people who really believe that we skilled immigrant doctors can use our skills and help people.
But we feel discouraged and sad when we see greed and tendency of exploitation in organizations like Rogers while dealing with customers like us, they forget that who are vey new to this country and we do not deserve to be exploited by anybody. We left everything behind us to come and get integrated into this society.

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
Hi Deva,

Sorry to hear your experience and challenges in getting a job in Toronto. Having lived in the US for 2 years I find that most organizations like Rogers have a strong monopoly in Canada. As of now I am availing a 6 months free TV/Internet/Phone service from them. The sales person promised that any south asian services that we add would also form part of the free term and would not be charged, obviously we received the bill for those services plus a $15 extra bill for a movie package which we did not order additionally, the agent deducted the amount after a 45 minute call.

Now this months bill has again the same extra charge so its a continuos P.I.A to work with Rogers. All this just adds to the adage that nothing in this world is free.

The deal with the 3 month or 6 month services is you are on a contract with them for 2 years and have to read the fine print carefully.

It worries me that Canada will not recognize expertise such as yours, but as a job market I found that you have to be persistent here till you join a company, even offers have been refused later.

Other services like TTC and the subway are good, generally prices are higher but you can find some bargains here and there.

I wish you best of luck and hope success finds you soon.

CanadaVisa4me

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
I am sorry to hear this happening to you.
In places like Canada, legal contract is everything and makes for strong rule of law. However, if you feel that they have cheated you outside of the contract, I am sure there are consumer agencies that you can complain to. I don't know what they called in Canada but perhaps someone can suggest where you can complain.

I am sorry to hear about your job situation. Have you looked outside of Toronto.

I am curious if you knew that job situation in Canada could be bad prior to going there?

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Dear Doctor
Deva,

Sorry to hear your experience and challenges in getting a job in Toronto.
I can suggest you to try for any survival job while you are working for your license exam.
You can buy the home phone plan starting from $ 10 / month, internet with $24/Month and dish option with very low cast, and also check other mobile phone or land line service provider, http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-landing-experience-and-observations-t41271.75.html

I wish you best of luck and hope success in your future in Toronto.

Many best wishes and regards

hmisabpk

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
A Tough country for people with no Canadian Education !

S

shibuya

Dr.Deva,
I was feeling bad hearing ur plight in Canada. Since u wrote that u reserched a lot and too those steps I would like to share my thoughts.
You took a very quick decision . CAD 20000 is not a big amount in Canada. When we convert we feel it is a big money comparing with Taka.
You had a option which you did not plan accordingly. You could have landed done the landing formalities i.e SIN/ PR card etc and moved back to Bangladesh. Next u could have registered for licensing since ur job needs canadian licence to practice since its a regulated job and opted to give those exams at a later date say after a year. In this one year u could have saved more money along with ur wife in Bangladesh and taken that ultimate jump when u were close to the exams date as i feel these exams need to be taken in Canada only as they do not conduct exams like CGFNS OF US which u can give in ur own country if there is a center over there. Now also if u feel that being a doctor u need to do survival jobs u can opt to come back and do the necessary exams and try ur luck after a year or so.
In todays world very few people are there on the face of the earth ready to lift somebody up. Keep ur hope and faith in Almighty GOD and just see you will one day come out of those hurdles u r facing right now. GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES.

Regards,
Shibuya

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear all,

We understand his situation, r alarmed & sympathize as well. But...

Obviously Deva didn't do his research well. Else he'd have known that Medics r the most troubled settlers in Canada. Obtaining a License & start practicing is a very very tough call. And it takes an enormous time at it. Wish he had surfed the net better & had read my post on Doctors: How to Succeed.

Secondly, he is neither well aware nor assertive. Else, how do u explain jumping into a Cable/Tele/Internet contract w/out having done a street survey. And he has landed just recently too. There r many many options available on all the 3. Moroever, everyone, I repeat, everyone had an issue with Rogers one time or the other in their Canadian lifetime. No wonder ppl refer to them as "Robbers".

Besides, one visit at the nearest Rogers' Store and putting his weight down would have got him the results. There r many individuals who just refused to pay their atrocious [mis]charges & threatened to sue them or go to the media (w/out actually doing so) and got their way... Some with extreme discounts too, of a yr.

Thirdly, the job foray. I wish he had visited "Times Change" (Sherbourne station) 365 Bloor St, 17th floor, to obtain more info & various options. This office helps newcomers (especially ladies) with jobs and many other things. They have a reference room where they have large indexes for recruiters. The ideal option was to obtain an interim job & continue with the licensing process. Ask any volunteer there, he'd have got all the counseling needed; and they are very very helpful too. I vouch for that.

End note: Serious research, networking & socializing helps in mitigating many of such mishaps here. Canada is a lovely place, ppl r extremely good, welcoming & very accommodating. But, we sure must do our homework (& do it well) before getting down & depressed. Sky is the limit here... Literally! And Canada has it's fare share of crooks too. It's a cosmopolis, isn't it?

Qorax

maoist

Jul 18, 2009
If Dr Deva wants to be able to work as a Doctor in a new country fast as a new immigrant, go to the USA - there are tons of Indian doctors here. USA, Canada and Mexico have NAFTA agreement which allows certain professionals including doctors to work in any of the three countries (there could be some conditions - I am not familiar - go to http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html). Dr Deva can go to USA after he has gotten his Canadian citizenship (in 4 years time). USA is much more open to foreign professionals than Canada - but beware that USA is also a much more chaotic society than Canada (and there are even more scams and cheats here - and more homeless people). Also, some say there is more racial discrimination in the US than Canada - but I am not sure about this.

Doctors can be quite a sheltered bunch of people. In many countries, doctors do not ever need to worry about being jobless in their lives, and so they are not used to looking for jobs outside their field.

As for Dr Deva, my suggestion is - go to those employment agencies and take any job that comes along no matter and that you can do, no matter how low the pay. This will help pay your bills while you look out for better jobs. If you have money, go take a post-grad degree in some healthcare field. I think acquiring a Canadian degree is the best way to get a good job.

Canada can be quite inefficient - and Rogers (a monopoly) is a case in point. Even though Canadians who come to USA always envy the low telephone rates in the USA, I never had a telephone plan in the USA for years. I just used a pre-paid card (use as you pay) and never committed myself to any term contract.

And if Dr Deva's relatives back home have Internet access, he can call them via Skype. If they do not have Internet, he can use SkypeOut to call their normal telephones (but SkypeOut is not free, Skype is free- you only need to pay for your Internet). There are other software besides Skype, e.g., GoogleVoice, Gizmo, etc.

qorax said:
Dear all,

We understand his situation, r alarmed & sympathize as well. But...

Obviously Deva didn't do his research well. Else he'd have known that Medics r the most troubled settlers in Canada. Obtaining a License & start practicing is a very very tough call. And it takes an enormous time at it. Wish he had surfed the net better & had read my post on Doctors: How to Succeed.

Qorax

eemmoo1

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
By reading all the threads above, one thing is a must to do that is "homework and research" before jumping to canada.

pun123

Mar 22, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another important lesson for all who would be immigrating to Canada is to be carefull in the communication + TV network cost. These are far higher compare to India or Bangladesh

India may be ( i am not 100% SURE) one of the cheapest country in terms of communication (mobile, fixed line, internet , cable tV) call rates.

sreja

Star Member
May 12, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
By reading your post everyone feels really sad.
After a long time we read some odd Canadian experiences.
As a doctor it’s somewhat thorny task to become economically established over there.
So, this is high time to think accordingly and execute the same before it is too late.
I hope and pray one day you will get the desired life in Canadian soil.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
After reading through this post i feel a little sad, but all is you people have to be courageous and keep on networking and researching also. I know with the finances, it is not easy to adjust, since money only goes out of the pocket without coming in.

On a happy note, is the fact that the children are welcome and the can quickly adapt to the educational system. This is because i know it is not easy to adapt to new educational systems.

Please just put in mind that, if you are staying it is because you are sure of the future of your kids.

I wish you people luck.

Canadaforall.

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
Looks like there are people who are advocating for this issue and bringing it to the forefront

http://www.thebigwait.com/

The doctor shortage is getting critical and one town is desperately trying to recruit physicians. At the same time, three internationally trained doctors are trying to get licensed to practice medicine in their new country. This is the potent story documented in The Big Wait, a new film produced by Joanne Jackson for Brilliant Red Media and OMNI Television.
The resources section has a link to this site, where you maybe able to register

http://www.hireimmigrants.ca

ranbir

Feb 24, 2010
hi deva
hru?
this is almost story of every immigrant who comes here.what i dont understand about this immigration is that when they use your same education for giving you immigration why that same education become worthless after u come here. i know the problem here is canadian experience(but if one cant get job how he gonna get canadain experience this is really weird ???).if u knoW "DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDER" they hire immigrant doctors as volunteer and sometime they can send you to remote place to work where you can gain the so called canadian experience.and i definately agree with maoist that US has far more to offer to immigrant doctors,engineers ,physiotherapist,pharemacist....US acknowledges indian education. and one more thing deva if u look at the thread started by rocky which say all people share their job experince,if u look at thread there are so many people who write the story of their wondeful landing but when it comes to job search you dont see any response there why??

S

shibuya

Link: http://www.nhpcanada.net/Content_Files/Files/RegularApplication_Aug-Dec2010.pdf