28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
Hello folks,

I apologize for long post in advance. I just want to help others who are considering landing soon.

Yesterday, I became landed immigrant of Canada. I went through a terrible experience at Rainbow Bridge Niagara Falls. I had to wait for 8 hours.

I walked to US through Rainbow bridge on Monday evening around 5:00 pm. I stayed on American side of the falls and came back. The Canadian Border Security Agent (CBSA) told me that they only process landing and permits on TUE-THU only (excluding holidays) (I have looked for this information online but I am yet to find anything on the web.). As per the agent this policy was enforced just few week ago.

The CBSA asked me to do it early in the morning around 8:00 am. She told me it should be around 8:00 am (not before or after). So I walked to US side again in the morning around 7:30 am and waited for 8:00 am.

There were only 8 people before me waiting for their work-permit, study-permit or landing processing. I showed my documents and requested for landing. The agent asked me what is my destination. I said Montreal. He got really upset and asked me why am I doing landing here and not somewhere nearby Montreal. I told him that I may need to drive 2 hours from my home for Montreal border. I am already at the Falls with my family and I want to make use of this opportunity.

He told me that it will take 4 hours for processing. I said Ok I will wait as I don't want to delay my landing further and I will have to drive 4 hours back-n-forth even if I will do it in Montreal.

He got visibly upset again. He rudely said to me that so this is your vacation and you want to do this. OK go inside and wait.

Finally I went inside the building and sat down. I was thinking that I am 7th or 8th person so it shouldn't be too long . This is where the real pain began.

From 8:00 - 12:00 pm they didn't call anybody for permit and landing processing. There was nothing to eat or drink as you are just sitting on few chairs. Any body who came after 8:45 am they just returned them saying that wait time is almost 7 hours and they will not take any applications now.

From 8:00 am -12:00 pm, there were only few tourist buses and they were just processing those people in 5-10 min. We just kept watching them walking around and having fun with each other. Around 12:00 pm they called the first person in line. After that they called 2 or 3 people per hour.

Around 1:00 pm, one agent announced that if anybody needs to use washroom, we will have to let them know otherwise they will return passport and ask to do the procedure again.

After a while, one agent announced that we shouldn't look at them and look somewhere else and he don't want us to stare at them

The thing that made me most uncomfortable was the common rude behavior. None of the officer was courteous to anybody. I can understand that they may not want us to do the processing at such busy border post but it wasn't crowed at all. We were requesting them to do their job for which they get their salary from the taxes we paid.

Anyways, I was called around 4:00 pm. I went to the counter and gave my employment proof. She was talking to her colleague and saying that they are making people wait so long because they want people to complain to CIC or CBSA. I don'e know what is the reason behind this. My landing was completed in 2 mins and I was out.

On my way back to the hotel I was wondering these bureaucratic rifts are just causing pain for common people. I hope things get better at CBSA soon. Whatever problems they have must be heard and rectified. Above all, people should have a smoother experience then what we had to go through.

ZZDown

Sep 6, 2017
Hey, thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it's really a valuable input here. One thing I did not quite understand though: you are saying that you gave your employment proof to the officers. What kind of the employment proof? When you are landing you need to show your passport and COPR, what is the employment proof about?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it's really a valuable input here. One thing I did not quite understand though: you are saying that you gave your employment proof to the officers. What kind of the employment proof? When you are landing you need to show your passport and COPR, what is the employment proof about?
With that, people don't need to show proof of funds.

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017

As mentioned by steaky, you can either show proof of funds or proof of employment for landing.