+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax calculations when not meeting PR obligations.

Coolj

Sep 15, 2012
Hello there,

Well as mentioned in my earlier post am looking to enter Canada via road in July with my family (wife and 2 kids) with my PR about to expire in August 2014. Hope all goes well by the grace of God and we are not reported by the immigration authoritizes.

Now when am in Canada i will ensure we don't leave for 2 years so i could then apply for my PR or will stay for 3 yrs and apply for citizenship, so either one. My concern is around the tax bit as we have not filed any returns since our first landing which was done in 2009. How will this be treated once we are in Canada and what is recommended to to do , please advise.

On another point I am also planning to air freight some of my personal effects - would this create any issues related to my PR obligations etc.

Looking forward to feedback and guidance . Thank you very much in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CRA has nothing to do with CIC. You can do your first filing at the beginning of next year for this tax year. If they ask, you did not settle in Canada until now.

As for your belonging, that's customs and not CIC so it shouldn't really be an issue either.

Coolj

Sep 15, 2012
Thanks Leon...

Am glad to note your response. Hope your doing fine and I was looking to reply to my earlier post.
We are getting ready and winding up to move to Canada in July hope all goes well and we are able to enter via peace bridge USA with a rent a car.
We (my wife and 2 kids) are taking this risk of not meeting PR requirements with PR going to expire in August 2014.

Wish me luck Leon! Take care