+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switch! SP/PGWP to OWP

cgst41

Apr 6, 2024
Hi guys, I have a situation.

I am previous SP holder and now on my PGWP (PGWP ends March 2025)
I have my common law partner with me here in Canada and is on OWP (Ends March 2025 too)

Unfortunately, I do not have any skilled work yet as of the moment. So we just want to extend our stay here in Canada to increase the chance of getting that full time experience.

Plan is, my partner will apply for student visa (Apply inside Canada) and will take a Masters Degree on a DLI institution. And I will be her OWP.

This is possible right? It seems that IRCC website does not say that an Ex - SP/PGWP holder is ineligible to be an OWP of a masters student.

I need your thoughts on this guys. Please Help.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi guys, I have a situation.

I am previous SP holder and now on my PGWP (PGWP ends March 2025)
I have my common law partner with me here in Canada and is on OWP (Ends March 2025 too)

Unfortunately, I do not have any skilled work yet as of the moment. So we just want to extend our stay here in Canada to increase the chance of getting that full time experience.

Plan is, my partner will apply for student visa (Apply inside Canada) and will take a Masters Degree on a DLI institution. And I will be her OWP.

This is possible right? It seems that IRCC website does not say that an Ex - SP/PGWP holder is ineligible to be an OWP of a masters student.

I need your thoughts on this guys. Please Help.

Discussed here

In a nutshell no . One cannot flip flop back & forth to extend their time in Canada . That loophole was closed for that reason
You are the “ primary “ person

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/please-help-transition-from-pgwp-to-sowp-if-spouse-starts-study.827771/

So your spouse could get a study permit for a Masters , but you wouldn’t eligible for a OWP

Last edited:
Reactions: Taran D