+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa or visitor visa for parent

MericaEh

May 19, 2021
Hello all! I’m a dual Canadian/American citizen currently living in Canada - American by birth and Canadian through naturalization. My mom is Russian and therefore requires a visa to come to Canada. Her supervisa application was recently denied because the officer was not satisfied that she would leave Canada at the end of her visit. I also recently filed an I-130 petition for her in the US (an I-130 basically allows American citizens to sponsor their parents for a green card and unlike in Canada there’s no cap on these in the US and they're currently taking around 1 year to process). Would it make make sense if I reapply for a supervisa for my mom with a copy of her US immigration petition showing that she eventually intends to move to the US where she’ll be helping my other brother and sister-in-law take care of their newborn child. Also as a green card holder she wouldn’t need a visa to visit Canada. Or do you think it would make more sense to apply for just a short term visitor visa instead? We want her to be able to spend as much time in Canada as she wants which is why we went with the supervisa initially but we don't mind applying for a visitor visa if she'll have better chances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!