+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit with PR travel document

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
I was 7 yrs old when my PR application was approved as a minor. Then my family and I had to leave after few months from staying in Canada.
Hence now it is expired.

Now I am 24 yrs old applying for a study permit and the embassy is asking me to submit a PR travel document form because I was a PR.

I want to understand why the Embassy is asking me for the travel document when I simply applied for the study permit.

This is because sending the PR travel document would show immigration intent, and my only intention is to get the study permit.

Thanks in advance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As a pre-existing PR you are not eligible for a study permit. The PRTD is to examine your PR status and only if you are stripped of your PR status can you acquire a study permit.

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
@ zardoz I realize that.

What I am asking is why can't I just submit a waiver form indicating my request to relinquish my PR status?
Why would they need the PR travel document form which clearly states that it is to see if I am eligible for a PR? in other words, the document is meant that I am looking to renew my status.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
johnny123123123 said:
@ zardoz I realize that.

What I am asking is why can't I just submit a waiver form indicating my request to relinquish my PR status?
Why would they need the PR travel document form which clearly states that it is to see if I am eligible for a PR? in other words, the document is meant that I am looking to renew my status.
If they are willing to give you a 'pass' on the fact that you were removed as a minor and allow you to keep your PR status, I think you should take that opportunity and use it to your advantage. You won't require a study permit and you won't have to pay foreign student fees. Would save yourself thousands of dollars on tuition alone. So, I wouldn't be so quick to give it up if I were you. Think about it.

johnny123123123

Apr 9, 2014
Thanks @ Alurra71, the opportunity is great indeed, but I believe it comes with a risk.
If it gets refused, wouldn't it hurt the chances of getting a study permit because it shows immigration intent?

Thanks

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
johnny123123123 said:
Thanks @ Alurra71, the opportunity is great indeed, but I believe it comes with a risk.
If it gets refused, wouldn't it hurt the chances of getting a study permit because it shows immigration intent?

Thanks
No. It is not showing immigration intent by asking you to fill this out. You literally do NOT have a choice in this matter. Just because you did not meet the RO at this point does not mean you are not still a PR of Canada. You were never issued documents to actually revoke your PR status, so at this point this is what they are giving you. If you fill out the PRTD and explain that you were removed as a minor, against your will (as is with all minor children as most don't dictate where to live to their parents)and this is your first opportunity to return to canada as an adult and you would like to do that, odds are greatly in your favor that you will be given a 'pass' and given a positive result and able to return to canada a full fledged PR. From that point you can study and work and do whatever you wish to do inside Canada as if you had never left and all that would be required of you is to keep your RO in good standing from that point forward. So you would need to remain in Canada for 730 days out of every rolling 5 year period. If you spend 3 years continuously (currently, but could change to 4 at the end of the year if the new laws pass) you can apply for Canadian citizenship and won't need to keep up with an RO any longer.

You are being given an opportunity here. If you instead choose to fill out the PRTD and fill in a letter telling them you wish to relinquish your PR to instead apply for a study permit, they will likely issue you a refusal letter along with a notice that you have 60 days to appeal. They will wait out those 60 days and THEN they will officially revoke your PR status and get to work on the study permit. Be aware though, if they do that, there are no promises you would get the study permit and be allowed to come to Canada. It wouldn't be because you relinquished your PR, but it could simply be that you didn't fit the criteria to obtain the permit. Just something to keep in mind.

Whatever way you choose to proceed, I wish you the best of luck!