+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studied part-time for one term in community college but full-time in university. Effect on PGWP?

Feb 2, 2019
So, I have a bit of a complicated question. Ive been an international student in Canada since January 2017. I starter off in a University Transfer Program at a community college and studied there for 4 terms. My first area of concern is that for all except one of those terms I was a full-time student. In my fall term in 2017, I was initially enrolled as a full-time student but I withdrew from one of my courses because my grade was awful. This meant that I became a part-time student. This is indicated in my transcript.

In Jan 2019, I transfered to a university and am enrolled full-time in a bachelor of accounting program. However, I studied full-time in the winter and summer terms in 2018 at my community college. Therefore, I decided to take a break in the fall 2018 term. In other words, I studied full-time for 2 terms in 2018 but rather than taking the summer off as most students do, I took a break in the fall term.
I understand that in order to be eligible for a PGWP I must have studied continuously as a full-time student at a program 8 months or longer. Due to the two instances I mentioned before( part time term, not studying in fall 2018) I’m really worried about what this will mean for my chances of getting a PGWP.

I know for sure that studying part time does not violate the terms of my study permit as long as I am not working during that period. Additionally, I know that I am allowed to take a semester off as long as long as I am not in Canada during that period. This isnt necessarily what im worried about. Im just concerned about getting my pgwp.

However. I’ve also heard that even if I studied part-time for one term AND took a term off at my community college, this should not affect my chances of getting a pgwp because I changed schools and programs and am studying in an actual bachelor degree program as of 2019. Therefore, as long as I am a continuous full-time student at my new school, I should be eligible for a pgwp. Is this correct? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks for reading my super long post.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
So, I have a bit of a complicated question. Ive been an international student in Canada since January 2017. I starter off in a University Transfer Program at a community college and studied there for 4 terms. My first area of concern is that for all except one of those terms I was a full-time student. In my fall term in 2017, I was initially enrolled as a full-time student but I withdrew from one of my courses because my grade was awful. This meant that I became a part-time student. This is indicated in my transcript.

In Jan 2019, I transfered to a university and am enrolled full-time in a bachelor of accounting program. However, I studied full-time in the winter and summer terms in 2018 at my community college. Therefore, I decided to take a break in the fall 2018 term. In other words, I studied full-time for 2 terms in 2018 but rather than taking the summer off as most students do, I took a break in the fall term.
I understand that in order to be eligible for a PGWP I must have studied continuously as a full-time student at a program 8 months or longer. Due to the two instances I mentioned before( part time term, not studying in fall 2018) I’m really worried about what this will mean for my chances of getting a PGWP.

I know for sure that studying part time does not violate the terms of my study permit as long as I am not working during that period. Additionally, I know that I am allowed to take a semester off as long as long as I am not in Canada during that period. This isnt necessarily what im worried about. Im just concerned about getting my pgwp.

However. I’ve also heard that even if I studied part-time for one term AND took a term off at my community college, this should not affect my chances of getting a pgwp because I changed schools and programs and am studying in an actual bachelor degree program as of 2019. Therefore, as long as I am a continuous full-time student at my new school, I should be eligible for a pgwp. Is this correct? Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks for reading my super long post.
You will not be elegible for PGWP based on your University transfer program.

You can however be elegible for PGWP on your University degree provided that you were full time from the first semester to the second last semester.

You can be part time in the last semester of a program and still be elegible for PGWP.

Reactions: Aaronz1

123tempest321

May 14, 2023
What is your specific questions since post is 4 years old? You can only count a completed/graduated program towards PGWP.
Thank you so much for your reply! My situation is a bit complicated.

I previously studied at UoM for 3 years, but I studied part-time for 1 semester due to withdrawal.

At that point, I knew I was not eligible for PGWP because I studies part-time, so I transferred to Red River College to study Applied Accounting (1-year program) and maintained full-time status, and graduated there.

My question is am I now eligible for PGWP? even if it's just 1-year work permit.

Thank you so much for your attention!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply! My situation is a bit complicated.

I previously studied at UoM for 3 years, but I studied part-time for 1 semester due to withdrawal.

At that point, I knew I was not eligible for PGWP because I studies part-time, so I transferred to Red River College to study Applied Accounting (1-year program) and maintained full-time status, and graduated there.

My question is am I now eligible for PGWP? even if it's just 1-year work permit.

Thank you so much for your attention!
You are eligible for a one year PGWP from Reid River.

123tempest321

May 14, 2023
Ok, I now understand. Thank you!

Is it right for me to say: "Students don't have to maintain full-time student status for the entire time of their stay in Canada, students only have to stay full-time status just for the program they have completed?"

If it is the case, I only need to submit documents for Red River College to apply for 1 year of PGWP, I don't need to submit my documents for previous academic years at the University of Manitoba right?

Thank you for your time and attention!

chidibav

Apr 22, 2023
If I do a 1 year program and graduate at a college which doesn't offer PGWP and later go to a college that offers PGWP and graduate from another 1 year program all done full time. Will the 1 year at the non eligible college be counted toward PGWP

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
If I do a 1 year program and graduate at a college which doesn't offer PGWP and later go to a college that offers PGWP and graduate from another 1 year program all done full time. Will the 1 year at the non eligible college be counted toward PGWP
Nope you won't get PGWP for that. But you will get valuable Canadian education

chidibav

Apr 22, 2023
Nope you won't get PGWP for that. But you will get valuable Canadian education
I don't think you understood the question. The condition for a study permit is graduating from a program of atleast 8 months from an Eligible institution. The question is whether or not the time spent studying at a prior college which doesn't offer PGWP will be considered together with the time you studied at an Eligible College when a PGWP is issued

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I don't think you understood the question. The condition for a study permit is graduating from a program of atleast 8 months from an Eligible institution. The question is whether or not the time spent studying at a prior college which doesn't offer PGWP will be considered together with the time you studied at an Eligible College when a PGWP is issued
Brother I have been in Canada 4 years and understand more than 99% of forum members here on immigration and study related matters.

Your time at Non-PGWP designated institution will not help you get a longer PGWP. It will count for nothing except getting the education itself. Is this more clear?

chidibav

Apr 22, 2023
Brother I have been in Canada 4 years and understand more than 99% of forum members here on immigration and study related matters.

Your time at Non-PGWP designated institution will not help you get a longer PGWP. It will count for nothing except getting the education itself. Is this more clear?
Yh, Thanks

remma

May 12, 2023
India
Category........
STUDY
Thank you for shedding light on the topic of graduate students considering extreme measures to study abroad.

Reactions: Aaronz1