+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Status change(single to married) while PR application in progress

Nikhilsamuel

Dec 31, 2023
What happens or what to do when your status change while the application is in progress.

status single while receiving AOR and married while the rest of the process in progress.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
You should inform IRCC of the change in status immediately. Submit the marriage certificate via webform.

Nikhilsamuel

Dec 31, 2023
Okay got it, currently my application is only for me. There is no dependent or spouse added. After couple of months when I get married I will webform IRCC with the marriage certificate but will this cause any drop in points or will I be asked to add my spouse to the application. Thanks

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Okay got it, currently my application is only for me. There is no dependent or spouse added. After couple of months when I get married I will webform IRCC with the marriage certificate but will this cause any drop in points or will I be asked to add my spouse to the application. Thanks
When you indicate that your are married, your spouse must be listed as accompanying or non-accompanying (on the application or not on the application). if on the application, IRCC will ask for spousal information, which may cause a recalculation of the points (depending on where in the process this happens). If you say the spouse is not on the application, they will still ask for some spousal info and that would not impact the points. Note that if you declare that they are not apart of the application, you will have to sponsor their PR which is a totally different application process including fees. So the decision is yours.