+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Visa - Please Help!

sana_295

Nov 4, 2013
Hello,

My husband is going to Canada to pursue a Master's program. I shall be accompanying him as a Spouse. I want to know the following: -

1) Can I apply for Spouse Work Permit beforehand or should i first apply for a Visit visa and then convert it into a work permit once I'm in Canada.

2) Do I also need to provide English proficiency test?

I will appreciate your help!

Thank you :)

roop9

Star Member
May 1, 2013
sana_295 said:
Hello,

My husband is going to Canada to pursue a Master's program. I shall be accompanying him as a Spouse. I want to know the following: -

1) Can I apply for Spouse Work Permit beforehand or should i first apply for a Visit visa and then convert it into a work permit once I'm in Canada.

2) Do I also need to provide English proficiency test?

I will appreciate your help!

Thank you :)
Hi Sana

1) Do not apply TRV or visitor visa. There is a high risk of getting rejection. And even if you get it its useless to go there and then apply Open permit and wait for 6 months. You wont be able to work on Visitor visa and in case any delay in open permit you will have to come back to home country as visitor allows only 6 months stay at a stretch

Since your husband is going for Masters you have high chance of getting Spouse open work permit from home country without a doubt. And this is a legal way. You are in fact asking for your right and not just sneaking in Canada.

Again there are multiple ways in which you can apply for this. You can apply with him at the same time (litle risky) or wait for his approval and then apply in a month or so (better chances).

2) For Spouse open work permit, no need of IELTS (or any other English proficiency exam). Thats the beauty of Open permit.

Follow the posts in this community

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/nd-work-permit-processing-time-since-february-2012-t102070.0.html

& Excel sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AupOYDswvmtHdEY5TUJNOEg4N004QU8ySlBPVEJmQnc#gid=14