+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse leaving country for Wedding during inland application

adam_b_416

Aug 28, 2017
My wife who I am sponsoring to Canada via inland Spousal application, needs to leave Canada in Sept for a wedding for two weeks then she will return back to Canada.

Are there any issues involved with this? Is this allowed, and will the application still be active?

She's a Japanese national, so she can re-enter Canada without visa.

Thanks!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

rhapsodyy

Apr 18, 2017
My wife who I am sponsoring to Canada via inland Spousal application, needs to leave Canada in Sept for a wedding for two weeks then she will return back to Canada.

Are there any issues involved with this? Is this allowed, and will the application still be active?

She's a Japanese national, so she can re-enter Canada without visa.

Thanks!
It is unfortunately impossible to say whether or not it would be okay for her to leave. Does she have an OWP as well, or is she just here waiting for the approval from the sponsorship? From personal experience, my partner is also a Japanese national (with an OWP) who I am sponsoring inland, and we went to Japan together to attend his brother's wedding and were let back into Canada with no issues. Our lawyer said that generally (no 100% guarantee of course), short trips (less than 2 weeks) outside of the country together will probably be fine, but being that there are no guarantees, and that you the sponsor are not going with her, it might be risky.

The application with remain active while she is travelling, the issue is whether or not she will be approved to enter Canada on her way back. If she is refused, at that point her application will be denied because she has "abandoned" it in the eyes of the IRCC.

Good luck all the same!