+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship after getting PR

sumanthyj

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
Hi all,

I have received my PR this March and got married to my long time friend this August 2017. We have lived in the same house from 2015 in Toronto, but during my PR processing stage I have not included her in my application as a common law partner as we weren't pretty sure on how it might go with our parents and she has just come out of an issue with previous relation. She has her own work permit and hasn't included my name in all her paperwork as well.

Things went pretty great with our families and now we are married in India. Now I'll need to sponsor her for her pr application. Will not stating her name have any impact on this application?

heystop

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Don't mention that you've lived together for more than one year , it would be considered common law relationship. If you didn't declare her in your pr application then you might not be able to sponsor her.

Not very sure. Wait other experienced to share their opinion.

sumanthyj

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
We were just roommates back then. As mentioned we weren't having ideas to get married or we were never in a relationship

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You both probably have provided your address in various applications/IDs so it will impossible not to mention that you were living together. That would also be misrepresentation. Unfortunately the fact that you lived together and had not mentioned it will most likely become an issue.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
We were just roommates back then. As mentioned we weren't having ideas to get married or we were never in a relationship
On the surface, it looks like you have both set yourselves up for some significant issues by not declaring your relationship. IRCC may not see it as not common law given the length of time and your current marital status. I would be prepared for some significant scrutiny from IRCC on your application. Make sure you are in a good position to explain your position. I'd also be looking at alternate ways for your wife to obtain her PR if it becomes apparent IRCC disputes the the fact you weren't common law from 2016.

sumanthyj

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
What if we would wait an year from now as we are legally married, how can they still question us
On the surface, it looks like you have both set yourselves up for some significant issues by not declaring your relationship. IRCC may not see it as not common law given the length of time and your current marital status. I would be prepared for some significant scrutiny from IRCC on your application. Make sure you are in a good position to explain your position. I'd also be looking at alternate ways for your wife to obtain her PR if it becomes apparent IRCC disputes the the fact you weren't common law from 2016.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What if we would wait an year from now as we are legally married, how can they still question us
Yes - they can still question you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The timeframe that will be in question is before your marriage so delaying you spousal pr for a year will make no difference. Your marriage date will stay the same.

sumanthyj

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
The timeframe that will be in question is before your marriage so delaying you spousal pr for a year will make no difference. Your marriage date will stay the same.
So what if she could apply for her own PR. Without me sponsoring her will that still be an issue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok may be it's better to go that way rather than sponsoring and getting into needless issue.
I think that would be the best way to go if she qualifies. While you may not have been dating while you were living at the same address, I think you're going to have an uphill battle convincing CIC you weren't common law since you've been living at the same address for two years. As others have said, we've seen a couple of other cases here similar to yours that ran into a lot of issues. Good luck - hope it works out.

sumanthyj

Star Member
Dec 4, 2015
I think that would be the best way to go if she qualifies. While you may not have been dating while you were living at the same address, I think you're going to have an uphill battle convincing CIC you weren't common law since you've been living at the same address for two years. As others have said, we've seen a couple of other cases here similar to yours that ran into a lot of issues. Good luck - hope it works out.
Thanks Scylla
If you can direct me to the thread relating to the above issue it will be so helpful. I tried to get to the thread but couldn't find it. Please do direct me to the thread. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla
If you can direct me to the thread relating to the above issue it will be so helpful. I tried to get to the thread but couldn't find it. Please do direct me to the thread. Thanks
I'll try - but I'm not sure I'll be able to find it.