+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife from Saudi Arabia and wondering about translations, certified copies, and instructions from the Canadian Embassy in Saudi Arabia.

Jul 7, 2022
I am a Canadian Citizen trying to sponsor my wife who lives in Saudi Arabia. She has some documents from Saudi Arabia that we need to submit with our application. These documents are in Arabic and would require translation. According to IRCC Guidelines, translators from outside Canada need to supply an affidavit regardless of if they are certified or not. Also, they say that it has to be a certified copy of the original document.

We have translated our documents by a certified Translator in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, but I am worried about the stamps in some of our documents not being translated. Do we have to re-translate just for these stamps?. Also since we are submitting the application digitally, we can scan or take picture of the original document and send that along with the application. If we do that, would we still need a certified copy notarization from a notary public? Like would scanned documents of the original be considered original in the online application?

We received certain instructions from the Canadian Embassy in Riyadh before and had our marriage contract attested by the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then we translated the document and had it attested by the Chamber of Commerce as per the Embassy's instruction. Would this suffice even though it does not contain the details about the certified copy?

I am hoping that we can submit all our documents following this process as we are already familiar with this and the instruction came from the Canadian Embassy in Riyadh, KSA. But I still feel hesitant cause it will not have the details that IRCC asks for, but it is possible that this is what is standard for Saudi Arabia. They do say that countries have their own specific procedures.