+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring from outside -- enter Canada together?

gozer

Jul 9, 2008
When the sponsor lives outside Canada during the application process (sponsoring spouse), is the sponsor required to re-establish residency in advance of the PR being granted and the spouse landing? Or can they both arrive at the border simultaneously?

yppgina

Jun 24, 2008
From my understanding they can both land at the same time and PR will be issued so long as there is sufficient proof that the sponsor intends to return to Canada.

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
Hi gozer,
I don't remember reading anything that says the sponsor is required to re-establish in advance. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

As long as whatever you write CIC regarding your intentions of re-establishing are genuine (i.e. no false documents of accommodation, potential employment, etc.). I think it is good if you and your spouse land at the same time. Although this is not required, arriving together may aid in your spouse's first time dealing with Canadian Immigration.

Hope this helps.

canthai

nicolet

Aug 9, 2008
hey there, this is a letter that the governement sent to me about three months ago, since then i have returned to canada, and am waiting for for my hubby, and before that an answer from the government! The only way i could do all these things would be returning alone, and wait for an answer!This is what the letter said....

Under Regulation 130(2), Canadian Citizen sponsers have to establish that they have the intention to reside in Canada upon the arrival of the foreign national. SUch residency has to be long term and not merely a visit. As such please provide evidence of your intention to reside in Canada following your arrival as permanent residentlegal lease agreement or Agreement of Purchase & Sale of the premises in which you and your sponsor will reside in Canada. Such evidence can include
but is not limited to:

- legal documents showing your or the sponsor's future employment or business in Canada (e.g. notarised employment contract or registration of business at the Ministry of Consumer & Commercial Affairs (provincial), purchase of business property, etc)
- proof of your sponsor's termination of current employment in Lebanon (original or certified letter signed by your Sponsor's employer on official letterhead stationery)
- proof of sale of your and your sponsor's Lebanese assets and their transfer to Canada (legal and bank documents only please)
- your sponsor's Notices of Assessment for the past 2 years
- all other supporting official and legal documents and evidence to demonstrate your Sponsor's intention to reside in Canada, rather than merely to return there temporarily.

Please note that if he does not comply with this request within 60 days of the date of the letter, his application for permanent residence in Canada will be assessed on the basis of the information already before the officer. Failure to provide the requested documents could result in the refusal of his application.

I dont know if that helps you out, this is my case and my own questions too!! heheh good luck and i hope you wont have to go back before your spouse !! It is not easy at all! GOOD LUCk all the best