+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored PR / marrital problems

D

dlmirpuri

Hi,

I entered the country in July 2010. My husband sponsored me and I got my PR card in 2010. I have been facing many problems in the marriage and have recently come to India in May 2011. Currently, me and my husband are not in talking terms. It was an arranged alliance and families are under discussion on whether we should continue the marriage or not.

However, my husband is not answering any phone calls and I have a feeling that his family is upto something fishy. Is there a way in which he can cancel my PR card as it is his sponsorship?(MY PR card is with me) Is there any rule that I must re-enter the country within 6 months after my first visit out of Canada to keep my residency status?
Is there a way in which the government can support me and help me settle down in the country if this end in a divorce. I was working with RBC but currently am unemployed.

Kindly advice.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No he cannot cancel your PR once you have it you have it unless you misrepresented(lied) yourself in your application.

To keep your PR status you need to show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days physical presence in Canada at the five (5)-year mark, this is for the first 5 years.

And then after that show that u have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the past five (5) years.

Do you have another place that you can stay when you return to Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dlmirpuri said:
Is there a way in which the government can support me and help me settle down in the country if this end in a divorce. I was working with RBC but currently am unemployed.
You can go on social assistance (welfare). However if you take welfare within the first three years of landing in Canada, your husband will be responsible for paying this money back to the government.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Your PR cannot be taken away just because the marriage fails - and your husband is responsible to his 3 yr undertaking regardless of whether the relationship continues or not.

If you do not stay in the relationship, you are still a PR but you have to maintain that status by residing in Canada for 730 days (2 years) of every five year period . . . not just the first five year period. The only way that you can maintain PR status while being outside of Canada is if your sponsor/husband lives with you in another country.

And scylla is right - if you have to collect social assistance for awhile to get yourself established in Canada, he is responsible for paying that back. But that should be a last resort - if you're coming back to Canada, do it with a plan to find a good job and support yourself.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
What part is wrong? Please explain, and please edit your above reply so that your response is not included in the quote. You need to ad a bracket at the end of where you quoted me - i.e. where the quoted part says, do it with a plan to find a good job and support yourself. [/quote you need to place a bracket to close the quote - like this [/quote] - so it doesn't all run together. Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
dlmirpuri said:
However, my husband is not answering any phone calls and I have a feeling that his family is upto something fishy. Is there a way in which he can cancel my PR card as it is his sponsorship?(MY PR card is with me)
Your husband and his family may think they can cancel your PR, and they may tell you that they are going to, but there is nothing they can do. You are a PR now, and if you stay in Canada long enough in every 5-year period, they cannot take your PR away. However, if you lied on the application forms, and your husband reports this to CIC, then you could get your PR taken away. If so, it will be a long process, and you will be able to present your side of the story. Usually CIC does not bother following through with these reports: they don't have enough staff, and they know many reports of fraud are just a vindictive ex-spouse trying to make trouble. You stayed together for a while, so it does not look like a marriage of convenience.
Is there any rule that I must re-enter the country within 6 months after my first visit out of Canada to keep my residency status?
No. You must be in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 to keep your PR status.
You can go on welfare. During the first three years after you landed as a PR, your husband will have to pay the government back all money you get on welfare. However, welfare pays very little. You are better off trying to get a job. There are various programs in every province to help people with low income - which are not considered welfare. If you get divorced, your husband may have to pay you alimony. Get a lawyer in Canada to help you with the divorce.

D

dlmirpuri

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I am trying to get myself a job so that I can afford to get a place on rent. However, this is taking time. Is there a place offered by the Government where I could stay as I do not have a place to live when I go back?

Who can I get in touch with to find out about social welfare? A contact number / email address.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dlmirpuri said:
Thank you for your detailed reply.

I am trying to get myself a job so that I can afford to get a place on rent. However, this is taking time. Is there a place offered by the Government where I could stay as I do not have a place to live when I go back?

Who can I get in touch with to find out about social welfare? A contact number / email address.
What province do you live in so we can help find the appropriate social assistance and government housing information for you

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dlmirpuri said:
I lived in Toronto, Ontario.
For Welfare/Ontario Works you can do an online application you will be called in for an interview

http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/index.aspx

&

Metro housing

http://www.torontohousing.ca/

Try the welfare office first as they maybe able to assist you and let you know your best step

Wishing you all the best