Jan 17, 2013
Cheltenham, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone.
Basically I am a 21 year old British citizen and I have a Canadian citizen boyfriend. We have been together for nearly a year but it's a long-distance relationship. I visited him in Manitoba last April for 5 weeks; had a blast and fell even more in love with each other (if that's possible). I was hoping to go over to Canada for a year so we could spend more time together and I've been looking at all the options. As I don't have a year of experience under my belt, I can't qualify for FSW but the Cic assessment says I could be eligible for IEC. I was hoping for more information about it, the process and costs of just applying. (I know I have to show $2,500CAD when I go over.
Does the IEC require the IELTS exams to be taken?
I would be working in MB where my boyfriend lives and his mom has said I can stay there so I don't need to worry about accommodation, I will just be applying for jobs when I go there (I highly doubt I'd be good enough for a positive LMO for an employer to invite me beforehand.
Sorry I babble on a lot. I probably have a lot more questions to ask but can't think of any at the moment.
Thanks for your time reading/helping.

speedoflight

Star Member
Jul 17, 2007
Europe
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The easiest way for you I thik is go there, find a job, get workpermit and work there for one year. Then apply through CEC program, you dont need IELTS...

:'(

Saffska said:
Hi everyone.
Basically I am a 21 year old British citizen and I have a Canadian citizen boyfriend. We have been together for nearly a year but it's a long-distance relationship. I visited him in Manitoba last April for 5 weeks; had a blast and fell even more in love with each other (if that's possible). I was hoping to go over to Canada for a year so we could spend more time together and I've been looking at all the options. As I don't have a year of experience under my belt, I can't qualify for FSW but the Cic assessment says I could be eligible for IEC. I was hoping for more information about it, the process and costs of just applying. (I know I have to show $2,500CAD when I go over.
Does the IEC require the IELTS exams to be taken?
I would be working in MB where my boyfriend lives and his mom has said I can stay there so I don't need to worry about accommodation, I will just be applying for jobs when I go there (I highly doubt I'd be good enough for a positive LMO for an employer to invite me beforehand.
Sorry I babble on a lot. I probably have a lot more questions to ask but can't think of any at the moment.
Thanks for your time reading/helping.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, you should apply for IEC. It will give you a 1 year open work permit which you can use to gain work experience in Canada and forge a relationship with an employer who may help you stay by applying for a labour market for you to get a regular work permit once your year is up. Ideally, your job should be something skilled because you can use that to apply for your permanent residency.

The other option would be to marry your boyfriend or live with him for 12 months straight and then qualify for him to sponsor you for permanent residency.

You can get info for IEC here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/experience_canada_experience/application_guide-guide_demande.aspx?view=d

Saffska

Jan 17, 2013
Cheltenham, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your replies. I am looking into the IEC but am stuck at the first hurdle haha. The website says these are the two stages.
1. Program eligibility assessment (using a IEC-Kompass account); and
2. Work permit assessment (using a MyCIC account).

I have set up a MyCIC account but have no idea where to find the eligibility assessment using an IEC-Kompass account. I mean I've done an assessment on the CIC website which says I might be eligible for the IEC program but it said nothing about IEC-Kompass on it.

I have thought about the marriage but I'll give that a year or so as my father wouldn't really approve of his youngest getting married first. And I am going to be living with my boyfriend there for the 12 months but I'm pretty sure he's ineligible to sponsor me.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
IEC has gone through changes very recently. The IEC for 2013 is a new system. It will open on Thursday (tomorrow) and then all the information about Kompass and MyCIC will become available. There are plenty of spaces available and if you apply by the weekend youll get it then you can come over.

better than what i had to deal with. I have dealt with 2 IEC's in the past and its a lot of paperwork. Better itsonline. But noonw knows what the process is yet as it hasnt been opened.

TeddiSamantha

Jan 31, 2013
I have a question, it kinda relates to this post.

I have been planning to apply for IEC to go over to Canada and live/work with family there for a year. Within the last week my dad has been offered a job there with sponsorship from a Canadian company. Do i still have to apply for IEC or can i go over with my parents? Will i still need to get a work permit before going or is it different because i'm going with my parents?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TeddiSamantha said:
I have a question, it kinda relates to this post.

I have been planning to apply for IEC to go over to Canada and live/work with family there for a year. Within the last week my dad has been offered a job there with sponsorship from a Canadian company. Do i still have to apply for IEC or can i go over with my parents? Will i still need to get a work permit before going or is it different because i'm going with my parents?
You will still need a work permit but it is a question if you will be able to get a work permit based on your father. You should read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp , especially the section on family members as well as this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp about pilot projects for family members. Basically, your dad's job has to be skilled and you would have to be under 22 to count as a dependent. If your dad's job is in BC, AB or ON, you would be able to get a work permit based on his permit. If that is not the case, go ahead and apply for IEC.

Saffska

Jan 17, 2013
Cheltenham, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great, thank you for your help. They updated it today and removed the 1st Feb date but still isn't open for applicants. I realise its this new online thing, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I should be doing in the meantime, so I guess its just waiting. :)
Do you really think I'll have to get it finished by this weekend? Will places fill up that fast? I hope I don't miss out.