+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Skilled Worker/ Work Permit - which one and how to go about it?

BinaBrina

Oct 31, 2006
Hello,

I work for an international company that has centers around the world, one of them being in St. Thomas, Canada. We, employees, are offered a chance to temporarily work in any of these centers for a period of up to three months, while still being employed through the center where you were sent from (my case, Ireland).

I am very interested in immigrating to Canada and after making a thorough search this weekend realized a Skilled Worker PR Visa can take up to 50 months to process (when going through London, UK).

I am 22 years old, without a college degree and not much work experience (just above 1 year), but I am trained in my current position for which a lot of company knowledge and being able to use our company’s programs is essential, among others, in performing well.

I would like to get some questions answered before I start inquiring whether there are positions available at our St. Thomas center so incase I get asked questions about immigration, I will know how to answer them (although there are people there working through Work Permits).

As I stated previously, the Skilled Worker processing time has gone up to 50 months, and might rise. Does having a HRSDC approved employment offer speed up the processing time of your Skilled Worker application, or no? I don’t think any employer would wait over a year (and even that is quite extensive) for an employee to be able to fill the position. If it does speed it up, what are the processing times then?

If it does not speed up the processing time, would initiating the Skilled Worker PR visa and obtaining a Work Permit (which is usually OK for 1-2 years and then has to be renewed) and working in Canada while waiting for the Skilled Worker application being processed wrong?

I was not able to find processing times of a Work Permit Visa, can anybody help me with that?

Also, my current position, as I stated before, requires a lot of ‘inside’ knowledge of our particular company to be successful at it, so my employer would not be able to advertise this position in Canada at all as people (just like myself) have to take a few steps before actually being offered this position. How would this interfere with HRSDC approval as this position cannot be advertised and even promoting somebody within the company takes extensive training and a probationary period before they are permanently accepted.

I also read that if having worked in Canada through a Work Permit (temp) you cannot eventually apply for a PR and change your status while in the country. Is that true?

I realize this is quite a lot to read, but there are so many questions running through my mind on how to go about my move to Canada.

Thanks for all your time,
Sabina

FinPro

Star Member
Sep 18, 2006
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Hi Sabina,

Its not a comprehensive answer of your questions but it might help you to get some idea.

First of all there is no problem in working in canada on a temp visa and at the same time applying for a skilled immigration.

Your education may hinder your application about ur skilled migration but CIC is the ultimate authority.

As you have mentioned, your position requires extensive company knowledge, this should be a positive point for HRDC's approval for a nominated employee.

Nominated employee's cases are settled in far lesser times. If I am not mistaken, its around 12 months.

Hope this helps

FinPro