+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I renounce my PR and reapply?

Jul 23, 2018
Hello I need some help or information. I obtained my PR after landing in 4th ofJune 2015, stayed in Canada for a couple of days then returned to the US. Since then I have spent at most a month in Canada cumulatively. I intend to move back at the end of the year so applied for my PR card 3month ago (initially applied after landing but it was never sent due to a mix up with the address), last I checked on the status I was informed It was being processed. Presently I wont be able to meet my residency obligation because I have been out of the country for more than 3yrs. Couple of reasons why I have not moved back yet is I am waiting for my nursing license to be transferred and I am currently working here in the US. So am wondering, given I have not met my residency requirements and my PR card is been processed which i fear may shed more light at the immigration office that i have not met my RO, should I renounce my residency and reapply? Also, if I do not have a SIN, do I need to have met my RO before i can apply for one to work?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Personally, I would never suggest arbitrarily just renouncing ones PR status, not without at least trying to enter Canada without being reported (land border). But, given you don’t seem to have a SIN number, that might complicate things a bit. You won’t be able to work without a SIN number, and your COPR is no longer valid to apply for one, so you would need a PR card. Applying for a PR card without meeting RO would expose you to a residency review and likely result in loss of your PR status anyway. With weak reasons for not meeting RO (employment), the chances of a successful appeal are really low.

Given the situation, I’d consult with a good immigration lawyer familiar with RO before you do anything else.