+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Photographer already in Canada Requiring Work Permit?

ACS

May 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (now sent to CPC-M)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2013
Doc's Request.
SA 06-11-2014/AIP 17-11-2014
AOR Received.
26-09-2013 (didn't get email-called CIC)
Med's Request
Sent With
Med's Done....
03-06-2013
Interview........
DM 02-02-2014
Can anyone suggest who would be the appropriate contact to determine if a Work Permit is actually required for a Self-Employed Photographer?

I cannot find the link right now, but there are exceptions for self-employed people who are not directly competing with the Canadian Labor Market. From what I read, seems to be a bit of a grey area that could be interpreted either way. I’m hoping for a # I can call to get a definitive yes or no.

We applied for an Open Work Permit along with our Inland PR for my husband, but that would be for a full time position with an employer.

As a photographer, with all his own equipment, he could be doing part time work right now if it’s allowed. I don’t see that it would directly compete with Canadians, because he doesn’t do like weddings, or regular family portraits. He does more artistic work. There are some bands who have seen his work, and want him to do an album cover for them, and people who want to buy some of his prints of pictures he has taken from around the world, etc. His work is pretty one of a kind, so I wouldn’t consider it competing directly with the Canadian Labor Market? But that is just my opinion…

I guess you would call it Free Lance Photography?

So any idea on what government # we could call for a definitive answer? Tried asking CIC before and they didn’t know….. *Surprise, surprise!* I could try calling again and seeing if I can get an answer, but to save myself the frustration I thought I’d check if anyone here knows who would be the right contact to ask about this?!?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ACS said:
Can anyone suggest who would be the appropriate contact to determine if a Work Permit is actually required for a Self-Employed Photographer?

I cannot find the link right now, but there are exceptions for self-employed people who are not directly competing with the Canadian Labor Market. From what I read, seems to be a bit of a grey area that could be interpreted either way. I'm hoping for a # I can call to get a definitive yes or no.

We applied for an Open Work Permit along with our Inland PR for my husband, but that would be for a full time position with an employer.

As a photographer, with all his own equipment, he could be doing part time work right now if it's allowed. I don't see that it would directly compete with Canadians, because he doesn't do like weddings, or regular family portraits. He does more artistic work. There are some bands who have seen his work, and want him to do an album cover for them, and people who want to buy some of his prints of pictures he has taken from around the world, etc. His work is pretty one of a kind, so I wouldn't consider it competing directly with the Canadian Labor Market? But that is just my opinion...

I guess you would call it Free Lance Photography?

So any idea on what government # we could call for a definitive answer? Tried asking CIC before and they didn't know..... *Surprise, surprise!* I could try calling again and seeing if I can get an answer, but to save myself the frustration I thought I'd check if anyone here knows who would be the right contact to ask about this?!?
1. If he is selling his photographs or getting paid for photo shoots, then that meets the definition of work and requires a work permit.

“work” means an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that is in direct competition with the activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market.