+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self-employed in Canada

rgb136

Mar 16, 2012
Hello Everyone:
I am looking for an answer to this question which no one has been able to provide me with guidance I hope I can get an answer here. This is the situation:

I am a Canadian citizen, I have been unemployed for over a year, I have experience managing restaurants. Currently I am about to graduate from a business diploma program (within 5 weeks). I met this person from the philippines, she has been working here in Canada for more than two years now, under the status of a TFW, we have been talking about the opportunities to establish our own restaurant (as a partnership) here in the town where we live in, this will generate employment for myself as well, and at the same time we will hire 2 part time employees. I have already developed a business plan which seems to be very feasible and realistic. There is a great potential for this business here in our town. My friend is the one with will be providing most of the capital (60%) for this venture. This is a great opportunity since I lack of financial means to establish it on my own. I have already looked at a couple of location available for this purpose. My question is: Is there any self-employment program which will facilitate the process for my friend to apply for a PR without having to be nomitated for PNP from her current employer?. At the present time she holds a closed work permit; Is anyone aware of any similar situation which could be relevant to ours? Any kind of information, or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
There are certainly investor and entrepreneur categories in immigration, but that may not be quite what you're seeking.

After two years in country, she would normally qualify for CEC, at least as I understand it (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp). Is there a reason she does not wish to apply in that program?

If you structure your business properly, you could obtain an LMO for her to work for the company. By doing that, she could have an LMO for both temporary and/or permanent work for your company; a permanent offer of employment could be used for the FSW program, or there may be a provincial nominee program that works for your province.

She cannot have more than 50% controlling ownership of the company. So, you could set up a corporation and have her own non-voting shares (e.g., preferred shares or convertible preferred shares) of the company. That would give you legal control of the company, but she would be able to invest and benefit from any appreciation in value in the future.

Still, all things considered, I would think that applying under CEC makes the most sense. I'd also investigate the provincial programs that may be available.

rgb136

Mar 16, 2012
Hello computergeek:
Thank you for replying to my posting. I checked the link you sent me but unfortunately my friend does not meet the NOC classifications listed in there. She works as a front counter attendant at a coffe shop, as I mentioned before she has been here in BC for more than two years as a TFW. Is she allowed to have two LMO's one for her current employer and one for the partnership even though she will be 50%owner? Because what I am thinking is, that the government would probably ask me to hire local, but i do not have the capital to start up, therefore without her help I can not have a business either. I would appreciate your input again on this matter, you seem to have knowledge on this immigration area, I am not too familiar with it.

Thank you
Rob

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
I've not heard of someone having two work permits at the same time, to be honest, so I'm not sure if it is permitted.

I'm curious - how did she qualify for an LMO to be a counter attendant at a coffee shop? That doesn't seem like the type of position that would normally qualify.

Sorry I'm not much more help. Hopefully someone else on here will have more insight to share.