+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Searching IT jobs in Canada from USA

induscan17

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm initiating this thread to share ideas on how to best search IT jobs in Canada (or jobs in any sector) from USA. If experienced folks could share basic directions on how to proceed, it would be beneficial for the rest.

I'm not sure if employers in Canada will be interested in a profile which currently resides in the USA and would like to understand how employers approach these profiles for considering them for an open position.

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're American, then you have some hope of being able to secure a job from the US since an employer can hire you under NAFTA without going through the LMIA process.

Otherwise, the vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the work effort required to hire a foreign worker and I would recommend on focusing on getting PR first and then searching for jobs.

induscan17

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
If you're American, then you have some hope of being able to secure a job from the US since an employer can hire you under NAFTA without going through the LMIA process.

Otherwise, the vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the work effort required to hire a foreign worker and I would recommend on focusing on getting PR first and then searching for jobs.
Hi @scylla, thanks for taking time to respond. I'm not an American, so NAFTA isn't an option. My PR is approved and im currently in the process of getting my passports stamped at Ottawa. I started searching jobs after PR approval and had applied for quite a few open positions. I haven't heard back from anyone though I indicated I am eligible to work legally in Canada without incurring any cost to employer. Irony is, I'm being contacted for a job in US every week but somehow not from Canadian employers. This made me to ponder if Canadian employers are ignoring just coz I'm in the US presently. I hope this explains my situation better.

danchavacr

Jul 12, 2017
Hello,

I'm in the same situation as induscan. I thought that for IT jobs it would be easier since a lot of the subtypes are exempt from the LMIA via the Global Talent Stream, but I haven't heard of anybody being able to successfully find a job this way. Does anyone have experience/know of someone that has been hired through Global Talent Stream? Maybe I'm just not understanding how the program works.

Thanks!