+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ - Is there any specific processing time CIC must follow?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hi everyone,

The question is in reference to the processing of the residency questionnaire, also known as RQ.

Does CIC have to follow a set deadline or time-frame in which RQ-cases have to be completed? Or is it completely dependent on the judge/citizenship officer ? Why is there such a long delay in RQ cases ?
Why are RQ documents not checked right away and quick decision made in few months? Can they just sit on RQ cases and not do any work on them?
How long should somebody wait for CIC as there seems to be no clear processing time listed anywhere, nor do the operational manuals list any specific timeline for it.

Does hiring a citizenship lawyer help at all in such cases? Obtaining GCMS notes does not give out much information so what are the options? What can an applicant really do other than waiting ridiculously?

Any replies that can help in this regard will be appreciated....

vinadam

Feb 25, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
Edmonton, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I want to know, too, coz today (March 25) is the 6th month that I've been waiting since I had my test on Sept 25, 2009. I couldn't find my expired passport so I was given the RQ at the test date, I found the expired passport and I copied it and sent it with most of the requirements that was listed, I sent it right away and was confirmed by immig that they've received it October 13(I called after more than 4 months of waiting). I was told to call again if I haven't got any letter by March 25 and so here I am, called many times but electronic voice says 'ALL OUR LINES ARE BUSY, WE CAN'T TRANSFER YOUR CALL TO AN AGENT, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER. PLEASE NOTE, OUR LEAST BUSY DAYS ARE THURSDAYS AND FRIDAYS'. Wonder why I couldn't get thru even though it is THURSDAY grrrrr..!!!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I do not really know, but I have seen a number of reports that suggest no, there is no real pressure on the timeline for so-called "residence cases."

It is also my impression that residence cases are referred to local offices and local offices have widely varying timelines.

The delays apparently inherent in the RQ process are, as far as I can see, a major incentive to definitely have a solid 1095 days of physical presence and to be in Canada when applying.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even when there are timelines, immigration works in mysterious ways. After I applied for citizenship, I got an AOR fairly early, after a month or two but then I did not hear anything for over 2 years. My case was always listed as "in process". They never asked me for any additional documents. I was starting to think they had lost my application when they finally sent me a letter to appear for test. After the test I waited a bit less than 2 months to get the oath. My entire application took 2.5 years where more than 2 of those years were waiting between AOR and test. I never asked because I was not in any hurry and frankly I think it possible that they did lose my file. Maybe it fell behind a desk or a cabinet and was found a year later during cleaning or renovations, who knows. Just goes to show that the timelines are there only as a guideline and most of the time, you have no idea what they are doing.

And yes, I have also heard that they are in absolutely no hurry with RQ cases.