+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RNIP Open Work Permit Application for Spouse

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
Hello! Maybe someone here has a similar situation.
I'm an international student. We lodged our permanent residence application last June through RNIP (my husband was the principal applicant). Then last week, my husband applied for a 1-yr employer-specific work permit. At the same time, I also applied for an OWP.

My question is, do I still need to enroll this coming Fall since there's no decision yet? If so, what if I get approved of OWP and the classes have started already? Do I need to stop studying?

By the way, our permits will expire in March next year. We just applied for the 1-yr permit in the hopes that I no longer need to enroll next sem.

Hope someone can shed light on this. We're quite confused. Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello! Maybe someone here has a similar situation.
I'm an international student. We lodged our permanent residence application last June through RNIP (my husband was the principal applicant). Then last week, my husband applied for a 1-yr employer-specific work permit. At the same time, I also applied for an OWP.

My question is, do I still need to enroll this coming Fall since there's no decision yet? If so, what if I get approved of OWP and the classes have started already? Do I need to stop studying?

By the way, our permits will expire in March next year. We just applied for the 1-yr permit in the hopes that I no longer need to enroll next sem.

Hope someone can shed light on this. We're quite confused. Thanks.
If you don’t enrol you will be reported by your school as a no show and you will lose your status in Canada. You would need to change your status to visitor. Given that you don’t know whether your husband will get the closed WP, you will get the OWP or whether you’ll be accepted by the RNIP you are taking a huge risk be not continuing your full-time studies. You will lose out on the PGWP option if the other applications don’t get approved.

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
If you don’t enrol you will be reported by your school as a no show and you will lose your status in Canada. You would need to change your status to visitor. Given that you don’t know whether your husband will get the closed WP, you will get the OWP or whether you’ll be accepted by the RNIP you are taking a huge risk be not continuing your full-time studies. You will lose out on the PGWP option if the other applications don’t get approved.
If I change my status into visitor, is the application faster than the OWP? Will I get the decision before school starts in Sep?

Neethuvyshal1#

Dec 3, 2020
Guys
I need urgent help
I have applied for RNIP pr today
I would like to apply for my husband work permit(he is in india)
I already have pgwp expiring next year.
The website says
“Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit at the same time as you apply for your 1-year work permit.”

Can he apply by himself from india?
What if i apply for a work permit from canada adding him now?
(Ircc customer service says i have to wait for an year to apply for a work permit until my pgwp expires)

Jilz

Nov 14, 2023
Guys
I need urgent help
I have applied for RNIP pr today
I would like to apply for my husband work permit(he is in india)
I already have pgwp expiring next year.
The website says
“Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit at the same time as you apply for your 1-year work permit.”

Can he apply by himself from india?
What if i apply for a work permit from canada adding him now?
(Ircc customer service says i have to wait for an year to apply for a work permit until my pgwp expires)
Hey did you apply for this
I am in this same boat