+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rental Home in WIndsor

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Hello All,

I am new pr resident and moving very soon in windsor area. Please anyone let me know which area is best in windsor for living where all basic things are nearby like grocery stores,mall etc and also which is near by us border too.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I am new pr resident and moving very soon in windsor area. Please anyone let me know which area is best in windsor for living where all basic things are nearby like grocery stores,mall etc and also which is near by us border too.

Thanks
Windsor isn’t very big. Would include if you have children, what kind of place you want to rent, budget and you two top priorities. Could be easy to commute to the US, could be safest neighbourhood, could be best school district, etc.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Windsor isn’t very big. Would include if you have children, what kind of place you want to rent, budget and you two top priorities. Could be easy to commute to the US, could be safest neighbourhood, could be best school district, etc.
Thanks for sharing your view. I am looking apartment like safest neighborhood and also easy commute to US. I am working in Lansing and lansing is almost 2 hours drive from windsor. Is it possible to daily commute from windsor to lansing??? I know people who is daily commute from windsor to detroit or farmington hill r troy but I am in lansing.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thanks for sharing your view. I am looking apartment like safest neighborhood and also easy commute to US. I am working in Lansing and lansing is almost 2 hours drive from windsor. Is it possible to daily commute from windsor to lansing??? I know people who is daily commute from windsor to detroit or farmington hill r troy but I am in lansing.
I would suggest what I suggested for my friend who does fort Erie to Rochester
.......do alternate day commute and make it easy for yourself. Try to get at least a day of remote work in a week. So travel on Monday to Lansing come back on Tuesday. I suggest it because .....you need to follow the plan for at least 4-5 years till you get citizenship. So conserve your energy. Yeah you do loose on family time.....4 hours of commute a day will catch up to you fast. On other hand people do long commutes in NYC and LA as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would consider getting a small apartment in the US. In the winter that area of Michigan can get a lot of snow. You may want to stay there for a few days a week no matter what.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I would suggest what I suggested for my friend who does fort Erie to Rochester
.......do alternate day commute and make it easy for yourself. Try to get at least a day of remote work in a week. So travel on Monday to Lansing come back on Tuesday. I suggest it because .....you need to follow the plan for at least 4-5 years till you get citizenship. So conserve your energy. Yeah you do loose on family time.....4 hours of commute a day will catch up to you fast. On other hand people do long commutes in NYC and LA as well.
If a company lets someone to work 100% remote from USA, is it okay to rent an apartment in Detroit, do a H1 amendment using that apartment address and commute to it from Windsor daily or alternate days?

This will be much flexible to accommodate any kind of site visits from USCIS and also avoid questioned elsewhere (CBP, company HR etc.) on ‘not working from USA’ isn’t it?

justinline

May 19, 2009
If a company lets someone to work 100% remote from USA, is it okay to rent an apartment in Detroit, do a H1 amendment using that apartment address and commute to it from Windsor daily or alternate days?

This will be much flexible to accommodate any kind of site visits from USCIS and also avoid questioned elsewhere (CBP, company HR etc.) on ‘not working from USA’ isn’t it?
Yeah sure...that can be done. Only thing is you have to rent out place in Detroit, which you have very little use for.

To tell you the truth lot of people are already doing .....they communicated to their HR they are working from remote location in US, provided their relatives address in US and currently working from Canada.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Yeah sure...that can be done. Only thing is you have to rent out place in Detroit, which you have very little use for.

To tell you the truth lot of people are already doing .....they communicated to their HR they are working from remote location in US, provided their relatives address in US and currently working from Canada.
Got it. The only concerns I felt giving some relative address
- are handling site visits from uscis
- also running into potential troubles with HR and immigration teams who could bite you back in case of some issue raising at border saying ‘you never told us that you were not in USA’, less chance , but can’t be ruled out totally

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
- also running into potential troubles with HR and immigration teams who could bite you back in case of some issue raising at border saying ‘you never told us that you were not in USA’, less chance , but can’t be ruled out totally
FWIW, your employer has all information about you to query your travel history if needed.

Try it out for yourself, https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

justinline

May 19, 2009
Yeah that is risk......but people are doing more desperate things to keep options open. I heard of case the guy worked as contractor for one of the State Government Agency, they require that even the contractors have to be based within the state they can work remotely anywhere but within the state boundaries. Worked like that till go citizenship.....so close to 4-5 years.
Then again....those were different times, site visits where unheard of, scrutiny was minimal, h1b renewals were taken for granted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is why some employers are unwilling to continue employing you under H1B if you move to Canada and move to employing people as a contract employee.