+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing pr card with a criminal record

missingu

Nov 5, 2014
Hello!
The expiration date of my pr card is next year soon and I have lived in Canada since 2006 after acquiring pr status.
Unfortunately a few days ago, I did stupid shamful mistake, shoplifting about $50 food in market, I got arrested and received paper that says I have to go police office to hand in finger print next month and attent to the court Jan 2015.
After googling another site, I may have the FINE sentence under $5,000.
I'm really afraid how this criminal record affects PR card renewal and job oppotunity.
Now I'm studying at Goverment run job professional school and receive bursary,goverment loan and finish next April, and then need to work right away. Please answer me!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
missingu said:
Hello!
The expiration date of my pr card is next year soon and I have lived in Canada since 2006 after acquiring pr status.
Unfortunately a few days ago, I did stupid shamful mistake, shoplifting about $50 food in market, I got arrested and received paper that says I have to go police office to hand in finger print next month and attent to the court Jan 2015.
After googling another site, I may have the FINE sentence under $5,000.
I'm really afraid how this criminal record affects PR card renewal and job oppotunity.
Now I'm studying at Goverment run job professional school and receive bursary,goverment loan and finish next April, and then need to work right away. Please answer me!
You should be fine to renew your PR card. I am a little unsure how well a new 'government' job is going to go for you with theft on your criminal record, but then, I suppose if you are going to be a politician that might be a pre-requisite?

Sorry, don't mean to joke, this is a serious matter for you.

You'll be fine with the PR card renewal, but I really have no idea how this will affect your job search once you've completed your schooling. I guess it would depend on whether they do a full background check and what the job is. I can see this kind of a thing posing a problem if you were going into banking or something.

Best of luck to you. Hopefully another will come along with a better answer for you.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Don't they do a background check when renewing PR card or applying for citizenship?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Most first time shoplifters for under 5K get a 12 month 'stay out of trouble' and all will be forgiven 'sentence' and some form of civic restitution such as working in a soup kitchen or attending sessions on victims of crime. As long as you don't get into more trouble with the law in this 12 month period your shoplifting will be disregarded and doesn't have to be declared for immigration or job applications in Canada) but other countries e.g the US don't care and require this declared) though it can be considered in future problems with the law especially if you shop lift again.

2. As long as you are not inadmissible background checks for PR will clear ok.

3. As has been alluded the record may show up if an employment background search is done prior to the 12 month all clear period. Many organizations require trustworthiness and regrettably theft is viewed very seriously. You may find say banking or any position dealing with funds problematic.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Was this outside of Canada? For renewal do they only check criminal record for Canada? Or is it like the initial PR application record check?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Background checks, if performed by CIC, do not effect PR renewal. If the crime was serious enough, PR status would have been cancelled a removal order would have already been issued.