+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Original passport

shadowz912

Jan 2, 2015
Dear Sir,
My wife has been accepted by UNHCR as refugee and completed her IM0008.
I was added to her application as a spouse. And we have submitted many papers. We were informed by the Canadian embassy that they will request for medical tests very soon.

I have a question regarding the original passport of my country. As a spouse of a refugee will my original passport be seized when we land in Canada?
I currently have alot of business and assets in my home country and I have to keep going to my home country to look after my business.will I be able to use my original passport or not?
Please be note that my wife is of another nationality and she claimed her refugee based on her nationality not on my nationality.
Thank you .

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Ma'am,
I'm not entirely sure of the answer, but my sense is that since you would be coming as a spouse, and not a refugee yourself, that you would be able to use your passport to return to your home country.

It's important to know for sure though, so I recommend posting this on Settlement.org, since that forum is moderated by settlement workers who can speak to your question with more accuracy.

Your wife however will not be able to do so as returning to the country she sought refuge from may be grounds for loss of Permanent Resident status.

N.B.- Regardless of the ramifications for your passport (which I don't think is taken even for refugees), your wife absolutely needs to include you in her application. If she doesn't you will be barred from ever coming to Canada. Ever.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
shadowz912 said:
Dear Sir,
My wife has been accepted by UNHCR as refugee and completed her IM0008.
I was added to her application as a spouse. And we have submitted many papers. We were informed by the Canadian embassy that they will request for medical tests very soon.

I have a question regarding the original passport of my country. As a spouse of a refugee will my original passport be seized when we land in Canada?
I currently have alot of business and assets in my home country and I have to keep going to my home country to look after my business.will I be able to use my original passport or not?
Please be note that my wife is of another nationality and she claimed her refugee based on her nationality not on my nationality.
Thank you .
You will be landing in Canada as a permanent residence with your own passport and your documents will not be seized at any point. as you are the dependent of the main applicant(your wife) and not a convention refugee in your own rights so you can travel to anywhere using your passport anytime and return back to canada using your PR card.
documents (passport, identity cards) of the main applicant/person who claim refugee is seized at the time he/she make a claim for protection and all the documents are return when he/she gets COPR (confirmation of permanent residence). some refugees in canada who got positive decision on their case get back their passport even before being a PR.

hope it helps