+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received my Ielts yesterday! Question on second official language?

nanji

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala lumpur
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just received my IELTS and I am glad I got what I was hoping for.

Listening: 8.5, Reading: 7.5, Writing: 7, Speaking 8: Overall band: 8

Now I can claim 16 in English easily

and now I want to claim moderate (8 points in French)

Can anyone tell me how CIC will interpret my second official language case if I have Master's degree done from France (letter from university attesting the language of instruction), linguistic courses in french for 4 months in Pakistan (10 hours per week) and 2 months intensive course in France (40 hours per week) (that was before the MS degree). Industrial Training for 6 months in a French company as part of MS degree. Then stayed in France and Belgium for combined 2 years working for french and Belgian software consulting companies. (Proof for service and reference letters available). I want to claim moderate in french as I can fluently communicate in french. Would the above documentation suffice? I don't want to go for TEF.

Thanks
Nanji

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
To get 8 points in the second language, you'd have to show the same proficiency level as for those who get 16 in the first language.

People from non-English speaking countries, who have done classes in English, study their undergrad in English, go do a MS in the US and then work in the US are generally asked to do IELTS if they claim 16points, so with your similar experience in French, they'd probably ask for the TEF.

I am no expert so its just an opinion.

nanji

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala lumpur
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the responses.

I forgot to mention that these would just be additional points as I am already more than 67 points without the points for French. I wanted to claim them just to be on the safe side. Anyhow, I understood what you want to say.

How about basic level (4 points) in French? Would CIC consider it without TEF?

On another note, I saw that you get same points for moderate and high for second official language are same? That's kind of strange!

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
if moderate and high are the same, then my logic above is not quite right. Maybe you could claim moderate and they won't require you to do the TEF.

So does CIC only do checks (like language proof checking, work experience checks, education checks) until the applicant reaches 67 points or do they go beyond 67 if the applicant claims more points than 67. If its the later, then it might delay your application. If its the former, you should pile on the points so if they require you to still prove your language ability, at least they will get back to you rather than be declined on points. I hope I am being clear.

nanji

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala lumpur
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think rupeshhari here has a point. But who knows how CIC treats files with more than 67 points. Can anyone else comment on this? helpmeimmigrate? BCGuy? Any other senior member?

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
I always say if you need the points, take the test

if you feel comfortable with your points situation, make a claim for the 2nd language points based on a written submission as they state in the guidelines, then include a covering explanation that you do not believe you actually need these points to make up the 67 pass mark

if you are actually short of points and CIC won't accept the language proof, they'll ask you to take TEF, that'll delay things a bit

pencilcut

Jan 18, 2009
Got my IELTS results too yesterday. Got 8.5 in listening and reading and 7 in writing and speaking. Got a total band score of 8. I claimed 16 points in my application. So at least it confirms it.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
pencilcut said:
Got my IELTS results too yesterday. Got 8.5 in listening and reading and 7 in writing and speaking. Got a total band score of 8. I claimed 16 points in my application. So at least it confirms it.
congrats.

nanji

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala lumpur
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks everyone for the replies!