+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry in Canada with 1 month of study permit and 1 month of TRV left

kag21394

Dec 16, 2014
Hello,
I ll be finishing my studies in December 2017 and my study permit and TRV is valid till 31 March, 2018. I ll be going to India on 8 January and ll be coming back on 28 Feb. My concern is, is there any issue when I enter in Canada if I ve only one month left for study permit and TRV. I am planning to apply my work permit after I come from india. So should I apply my work permit and go india or should I come back and apply? I am a bit nervous about this situation. Please help me out solve this worry.
Thanks.
Kevin Gandhi

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
I will answer your question with a similar situation that I had.

I had a TRV visa that expires the 31 of July 2016 and a study permit extension that goes up to 31 August 2017.

I went to my home country in June 2016 and came back the 30th of July 2016 ( 1 day before my visa expires ).

the office was like you have 1 day left on your visa and wanted to make drama so I told him that I have a valid study permit for 1 year, he tried to make an issue but nothing happened and I got the stamp.

It depends on the officer, you have the right to enter the country but regarding the study permit that ends in 1 month he may make it an issue especially if you haven't applied for a study permit extension before it. So I would suggest that you apply for a study permit extension before coming back to Canada.

kag21394

Dec 16, 2014

I had a TRV visa that expires the 31 of July 2016 and a study permit extension that goes up to 31 August 2017.

I went to my home country in June 2016 and came back the 30th of July 2016 ( 1 day before my visa expires ).

the office was like you have 1 day left on your visa and wanted to make drama so I told him that I have a valid study permit for 1 year, he tried to make an issue but nothing happened and I got the stamp.

It depends on the officer, you have the right to enter the country but regarding the study permit that ends in 1 month he may make it an issue especially if you haven't applied for a study permit extension before it. So I would suggest that you apply for a study permit extension before coming back to Canada.
But in my case, I ll be having both (study permit & TRV) expiring in a month and I dnt want study permit extension but instead I ll be applying for the work permit. So my concern is, would that be any issue?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But in my case, I ll be having both (study permit & TRV) expiring in a month and I dnt want study permit extension but instead I ll be applying for the work permit. So my concern is, would that be any issue?
It's fine. Many people go home for a visit after finishing their studies and then return to Canada to apply for a PGWP.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
you have the right to enter the country but regarding the study permit
Not to add to your concerns about entry, and the Bly to clarify the statement, but only citizens and permenent residents of Canada have the "right" to enter Canada.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Not to add to your concerns about entry, and the Bly to clarify the statement, but only citizens and permenent residents of Canada have the "right" to enter Canada.
Unless it is a security matter ! But if I have a visa, I have the right to enter the country unless they prove the opposite or there is a decision as what happened in the USA when Trump took control.

kag21394

Dec 16, 2014
What if I apply my work permit and then go to my home country, but if I dnt have my work permit while m entering Canada, then would it be a concern?

S

slpmaple

you are always over your head!!, so someone with a valid TRV or other types of entry visas without any inadmissibility issues..does not have the right to enter Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
you are always over your head!!, so someone with a valid TRV or other types of entry visas without any inadmissibility issues..does not have the right to enter Canada?
Buletruck is correct. Only Canadian citizens and PRs have the right of entry to Canada. Visitors, workers and students do NOT have the right of entry, regardless of the validity of their TRV or permit; they can and are refused entry everyday for a variety of reasons.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Hello,
I ll be finishing my studies in December 2017 and my study permit and TRV is valid till 31 March, 2018. I ll be going to India on 8 January and ll be coming back on 28 Feb. My concern is, is there any issue when I enter in Canada if I ve only one month left for study permit and TRV. I am planning to apply my work permit after I come from india. So should I apply my work permit and go india or should I come back and apply? I am a bit nervous about this situation. Please help me out solve this worry.
Thanks.
Kevin Gandhi
Here's what I did. I graduated in January 2015 and applied for work permit right after I got my graduation documents. MY study permit and TRV were valid for another year, I preferred to wait until I had received my WP. Upon boarding flight back to Canada, the airlines questioned me that I have a student TRV but my permit say PGWP. I simply asked them to clarify it with immigration Canada if they need to. I told them exactly what I heard for CIC rep. Why would i cancel a valid TRV and apply for another one.

redbottoms

Nov 7, 2017

You seem to be very knowledgeable.
I applied for a TRV with 32 days left on my study permit. I also applied for a new study permit with my new passport.My passport that I used to apply for a TRV expires in 30 days.But I have a new one. So will I get the TRV?

sabisco

Jul 20, 2017
Hello,
Thanks.
Kevin Gandhi
Hey Kevin!

I am facing the same issue, could you please guide me, as to what did you finally ended up doing in this situation. I finish my last exam on the 27th of July and I am flying out to India on the 13 Aug ( trying to clarify when will the uni issue the official graduation letter), and coming back on 15th sep. my study permit is valid till December. should I apply for the work visa and go to India or I am just panicking for no rhyme or reason. Also, is it possible to apply for the WP from India?

It will be of immense help if you could guide me.
Thanks
AK