+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re entering Canada

beccajenner92

Oct 5, 2018
Hi!

My IEC Visa expired on May 6th, I am on implied status as my PR application was submitted January 26th. I also applied for a BOWP on March 6th and expect to receive it any time before June 14th.

I have to leave Canada 22nd May - 31st May so will be returning to Canada with no visa/status.

Can I re enter on implied status? If I have to come back on a tourist visa, and then my BOWP comes through, will it be valid?

Should I arrive back in Canada with all my applications/receipts/proof and hope for the best?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
One of the conditions for applying for the BOWP states that you must be in Canada while it is processed. If you leave the country you are violating this condition and may not then receive the work permit.

In addition, you cannot re-enter on implied status. Implied status ceases the minute you leave the country. You may be able to re-enter as a tourist, but depending on when the permit is processed, you may not get the BOWP.

Do you have a TRV or are you from a visa-exempt country?

Source for my statement that you have to be in Canada during the processing of your application:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

Upon receipt of the application, the processing office will confirm the following:
the foreign national is currently in Canada;