+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about translation + certified true copy for spousal sponsorship (inland in my case).

B05SxBrennan

Mar 8, 2022
I have a bit of experience getting certified translations done for other purposes. Basically, I emailed a scan of the document to be translated, and was mailed back the translated version, which was stapled to the Translator Declaration and a printed photocopy of the untranslated document. But I'm a little unsure about how to include the notarized copy alongside this, so below I have listed two ways that I could see going about this for an immigration application.

1. Get the translation for the original document done, and then have my notary public certify the photocopy page that the translator attached to the translation.
  2. Leave the translation exactly as it was received, and have a new photocopy of the original document notarized instead, and then submit the notarized copy along with the translation attached to the translator's photocopy.
Options 1 makes it completely clear that the translation is of an unaltered copy of the original document, but also means the IRRC worker would need to flip to the last page of the translation to see the notarized copy. I'm worried they would assume that a notarized copy wasn't provided and send the application back.

Option 2 would make it immediately clear that there is both a notarized copy and a certified translation in the envelope, but would also mean that the notarized copy would need to be compared to the translator's copy to verify that the translator's copy was unaltered.

Now for a separate question: we plan to include Facebook posts from family about our wedding to help prove that our marriage is recognized by friends and family members. Facebook has a built-in English translation feature, so I was wondering if these could be considered as English documents to begin with, since the translation is sort of part of the original document and is not possible to tamper with. Since they're only supporting documents and will also be submitted alongside other fully English documents to prove the same thing, should we be safe skipping the certified translations for these?

Reactions: mapple007

yoli85

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Did you find out which of the two options you presented is the right one?