+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about Inland Sponsorship

clearamerican

Mar 4, 2024
Hello everyone, I just have some general questions about the inland sponsorship that I'd like to get some information on if anyone can help.

For general context, I'm an American Citizen and my wife is a Canadian Citizen. We got married in British Columbia after which I had to head back home due to work. We were hoping to apply for an Inland Sponsorship while I'm there on a Visitor Record. From what I can tell, that is entirely legal.

I'd like to start with asking questions about IMM5406 which for me is a bit confusing due to my family.

I'm half-adopted. My mom is my biological mom, but my dad adopted me when I was young. My parents have since divorced and that is partially what leads to my confusion.
My sister is completely unrelated to me by blood and only related to me by the adoption. She was born from my dad and his first wife.
Similarly, my brother is half blood related to me, but also related to me by the adoption. He was born from my mom and dad.
I don't want to naively assume they just get tagged as brother and sister.

Continuing on IMM5406, my step-dad has several kids from his previous marriages that are "his," but he has not adopted or do not share his last name. Some of them do come to family gatherings from time to time though. I'm just trying to make sure they should all be listed and if they should, I'm assuming I should use a letter of explanation?

Last, but not least on IMM5406, my biological father and his kids. I've never met my biological father and I've only been told through the grapevine that he has kids of his own. They're not "related" to me, so I wouldn't think I need to list him/them? I don't know where he/they live, I don't even know how many kids has, their ages or names which would make listing them extremely difficult.

Other than that, I could just use some general knowledge that people have to share that might have been in similar situations as this whole thing has me stressed out more than it probably should.
One thing that has me a little worried is the providing proof of cohabitation. My wife and her mom both own the house we'd be staying in, but the single utility that the house has is paid for by her mom. I know we can get my name added to her bank account, I know my name is already on the cellphone account and I know my name is on her life insurance, but anything else we should consider that might help?

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone, I just have some general questions about the inland sponsorship that I'd like to get some information on if anyone can help.

For general context, I'm an American Citizen and my wife is a Canadian Citizen. We got married in British Columbia after which I had to head back home due to work. We were hoping to apply for an Inland Sponsorship while I'm there on a Visitor Record. From what I can tell, that is entirely legal.

I'd like to start with asking questions about IMM5406 which for me is a bit confusing due to my family.

I'm half-adopted. My mom is my biological mom, but my dad adopted me when I was young. My parents have since divorced and that is partially what leads to my confusion.
My sister is completely unrelated to me by blood and only related to me by the adoption. She was born from my dad and his first wife.
Similarly, my brother is half blood related to me, but also related to me by the adoption. He was born from my mom and dad.
I don't want to naively assume they just get tagged as brother and sister.

Continuing on IMM5406, my step-dad has several kids from his previous marriages that are "his," but he has not adopted or do not share his last name. Some of them do come to family gatherings from time to time though. I'm just trying to make sure they should all be listed and if they should, I'm assuming I should use a letter of explanation?

Last, but not least on IMM5406, my biological father and his kids. I've never met my biological father and I've only been told through the grapevine that he has kids of his own. They're not "related" to me, so I wouldn't think I need to list him/them? I don't know where he/they live, I don't even know how many kids has, their ages or names which would make listing them extremely difficult.

Other than that, I could just use some general knowledge that people have to share that might have been in similar situations as this whole thing has me stressed out more than it probably should.
One thing that has me a little worried is the providing proof of cohabitation. My wife and her mom both own the house we'd be staying in, but the single utility that the house has is paid for by her mom. I know we can get my name added to her bank account, I know my name is already on the cellphone account and I know my name is on her life insurance, but anything else we should consider that might help?

I really appreciate everyone's input.
Don't forget to breathe! ;)

This is without a doubt a very stressful process, but you are not alone.

I will defer the questions regarding the IMM5406 form pertaining to family members, but I'm sure others will comment.

In terms of your last section, you can relax a bit; you do not need to prove cohabitation in terms of evidence of your relationship like those submitting a common-law sponsorship, because you are married. The only thing you need to show as that you are in fact living together on the day that the application is submitted and that you will continue to live together during the process. If you were to submit an Outland application (which you can submit even though you are in Canada) there is no requirement to show, or prove, that you're living together. The Inland Sponsorship application, in and of itself, is what requires cohabitation.

Just have your wife and her mother write something attesting to you living together (have it notarized); include a cellphone statement showing you are both in the same plan/account, as well as the life insurance info. If IRCC needs to see more evidence, they will [usually] ask for it.

Being married makes this much easier. Take solice from that fact alone!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, you're over-stressing about this and over-thinking. Basically include what information you have and include a letter of explanation.

1) Disclose the siblings you have and know about. Explain the parentage - briefly, just explain - parentage and sibling by adoption. I don't think IRCC is going to get too exercised about terminology (whether they are siblings or step siblings).

2) Yes, name the siblings through adopted father. Explain and name as best you can.

3) For the birth father and sisters/brothers: provide the information you have, i.e. his name and last known address/contact you may have had. Explain haven't had any contact since whenever. Name any siblings you may know about, if you honestly don't know or have any information about them, explain that.

None of these explanations require stress or detailed life histories. Just facts, brief.

clearamerican

Mar 4, 2024
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to ask at least two more questions.

I'm working on form 5669 and having difficulty with two parts on the "Personal History."

On the "city/town and country/territory" question, is this your residential address? I'm leaning towards that being the case, but need to double check because I have a point where I was working the same job, but changed residential addresses. Wanted to know if these should get their own sections?

Additionally, if it is my residential address, I have a point where I was unemployed, but spent 2 months in Canada under a visitor record from 2022 to early 2023. Do I need to give this its own section?

Last edited: