+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question on Export/Import Car (in U.S. now, plan to land few months before movin

Shirleyhoho

Jan 6, 2015
Morning everyone!

I currently live in U.S. and plan to land soon. However, I am moving later around summer.

I have a car, and actually plan to buy a new one. When I land, do I need to fill the form about the items, including the car that I will move later?
If I plan to buy a new car within the 1-2 months before moving, could I indicate that?

After reading the riv and emailing them, I am still a bit confused. I heard that first time landing can actually bring a car into Canada without tax/duty. Would that apply if I move later? Many many thanks.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, if you plan to import a car after landing, you want to make sure it is listed on your B4 declaration form. i am not sure how it works if you hadn't bought it yet, because the vin number needs to be written on the form.

as for exporting/importing, there are a lot of steps to it, and it STARTS with EXPORTING it from the US. it's become a bit more complicated with the new system, so you will need to do some research on it. there are a few threads on this board that already discuss this. you will first export it at the us border, THEN import it at the canadian border. after entry, you need to pay the fee and send the recall clearance to RIV for your inspection report to be released. once it's released, you can get it inspected. once it's inspected and passed, the service center sends the completed form 2 to RIV and the import is complete.

this is the thread where we learned about the new exporting system, and it should be helpful in determining how to start the process:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/need-advice-on-rivtransport-canada-issue-t248764.0.html#lastPost