+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: NoA necessary for application, stuck waiting for CRA, Can I submit my application without?

WesleyA

Dec 16, 2023
This is my first time posting on here, I'm a Canadian citizen trying to sponsor my wife via a family class Spouse Sponsorship. We have almost everything we need to submit our application.
But I am currently waiting For my Notice of Assessment from CRA and because I submitted multiple years at the same time they are holding it for review and have been holding it for more than two months now. They are all simple T4s, I am an employee so there shouldn't be anything complicated, I don't own a business and I'm not being audited. But at this point we feel like we are in limbo and getting extremely frustrated.

My question is:

Can I submit supplementary information such as a letter from my employer stating my current working hours and salary as well as bank statements showing deposits of cheques, as well as a letter of explanation stating that I will be providing the NoA once I have recieved it? Or will my application be rejected outright?

I need to get things moving as soon as possible. I don't want to risk having the application rejected but the strain of the distance from my wife is unbearable at this point and we both need to have some kind of progress as it's feeling hopeless with waiting for the the CRA to complete my case. If anyone has had simillar experience I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
This is my first time posting on here, I'm a Canadian citizen trying to sponsor my wife via a family class Spouse Sponsorship. We have almost everything we need to submit our application.
But I am currently waiting For my Notice of Assessment from CRA and because I submitted multiple years at the same time they are holding it for review and have been holding it for more than two months now. They are all simple T4s, I am an employee so there shouldn't be anything complicated, I don't own a business and I'm not being audited. But at this point we feel like we are in limbo and getting extremely frustrated.

My question is:

Can I submit supplementary information such as a letter from my employer stating my current working hours and salary as well as bank statements showing deposits of cheques, as well as a letter of explanation stating that I will be providing the NoA once I have recieved it? Or will my application be rejected outright?

I need to get things moving as soon as possible. I don't want to risk having the application rejected but the strain of the distance from my wife is unbearable at this point and we both need to have some kind of progress as it's feeling hopeless with waiting for the the CRA to complete my case. If anyone has had simillar experience I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you.
Log into your CRA account and you can print them. Your notice of assessment is available instantly if you filed your taxes online.

WesleyA

Dec 16, 2023
Log into your CRA account and you can print them. Your notice of assessment is available instantly if you filed your taxes online.
Maybe I didn't explain my question properly. My NoA is being held because they are doing a extended review because of a keying error on the part of CRA, that error has been fixed now but it will take them possibly a month for them to complete their review and send my case to the finalizing department. They did not give a actual date of completion and my wife and I have become extremely frustrated waiting for that for more than three months now. We want to start our application as soon as possible and don't want to wait anymore. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

My question is:

“ Keying error “ ?

Did you file these on paper ? And how many returns were filed ? One ? Two ?
How many is exactly “ multiple “ ?

Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
“ Keying error “ ?

Did you file these on paper ? And how many returns were filed ? One ? Two ?
How many is exactly “ multiple “ ?
Some good questions here. I too am curious to know about the nature of the CRA "keying error" that threw a spanner into the works.

I get the impression that the poster here has not filed taxes for a long time and only tried to catch up belatedly in order to produce a NOA for the IRCC.

Maybe I didn't explain my question properly. My NoA is being held because they are doing a extended review because of a keying error on the part of CRA, that error has been fixed now but it will take them possibly a month for them to complete their review and send my case to the finalizing department. ...
I am not sure you have yet expressed it properly. You mention a keying error being the genesis of the difficulty, and the CRA error led to an extensive review. That suggests that, but for the keying error, there would have been no need for extensive review. And then, somewhat curiously, despite the error having been corrected, the extensive review continues, has yet to complete, with the file sent off to the "finalizing department". Did the CRA actually mention such a department?

In any event, if it's the case that you are playing catchup with a pile of returns, hardly surprising that you do not have a recent (or any) NOA available. Meanwhile, can you submit "supplementary information" to the IRCC and tell 'em you'll submit an NOA in the fullness of time? Sure, you can do that. But I doubt anyone here can tell you if that will mollify the IRCC and inspire them to set to work on adjudicating your application without delay. My guess is that such a request will go nowhere, but I can't see any substantial downside to trying it on. I'll observe, as well, that you suggest it might take "possibly a month for them [the CRA] to complete their review". If you see being in possession of the NOA within a month, I would wait.

Reactions: armoured