+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question About Visiting Canadian Husband Prior To Sponsorship

AmericanLady

Oct 27, 2015
Hello,

I recently married my Canadian boyfriend (June 2015) while he visited me in the US. He then came back to Canada while I stayed in the US.

Our long term plan is for him to sponsor me to Canada. We are currently working on putting together the sponsorship package.

I plan on visiting him soon in Canada, and have some questions about what I should tell the Canadian border agents at the point of entry.

When they ask me about the purpose of my visit, should I be upfront and let them know that I am visiting my husband or should I just say that I am visiting relatives (without explicitly stating that I am visiting my husband)?

I know that the onus will be on me to prove ties to the US, so what sort of documents should I bring with me to be prepared? Would a return ticket, lease agreement, and letter of employment suffice?

What other sorts of questions can I expect if I tell them that I am visiting my husband?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mods - If this is in the wrong section of the forum, please kindly move to the correct section, and my apologies in advance.

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A return ticket, lease agreement and letter of employment all sound perfect, those are really good proofs. A lot of it depends on the border agent you get, some of them are more intense than others. In the past, when I say I'm visiting friends, I get put straight through, but when I said I was visiting a partner I was stopped and questioned further. Ultimately it's up to you, but your ties to the US sound strong so you should be okay. When I was stopped at the border on my way to the US, this is what happened:

Agent: Purpose of visit?
Me: Visiting my partner
Agent: You're Canadian. What's your partner doing in the US?
Me: She's from there, she lives there. It's long distance.
Agent: Are you two looking at immigration?
Me: I'll be sponsoring her eventually, but not for a while
Agent: Okay. Just keep an eye on your ties to Canada

I think I just got a grumpy guy, honestly. Seeing as I live in Canada, go to school in Canada, and my partner will be moving up to Canada, I think my ties are safe

HOTW

Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/10/2015
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
File Transfer...
08/12/15
Med's Done....
Upfront
Definately take proof of employment, lease agreement and a copy of your mariage certificate. These are what my American Husband has been asked to carry during his border crossings. We are awaiting his case number for his PR application and he will need to carry a copy of that letter as well if they decide to ask him for it he needs to prove he plans to return to the US as well as his ties for vistiting. Be honest amd it will be easy, eventually they "get it" and tend to be easier about it but sometimes they can be hard noses. Hubby actaully gets more grief nwhen he goes back to the U$

BC29

Apr 4, 2015
My American wife (married Oct 8) is in the same situation and is hoping to come up to Canada for a longer visit soon. Except I worry about her chances if she gets questioned. She crosses by car using Nexus and rarely actually gets asked how long she plans to stay. It has been very smooth since she got Nexus. However, before coming up, she's given up her apartment to save money. On the other hand, she has friends who are more than willing to let her stay with them. She also quit her jobs, but they'd instantly rehire her if she asked. Given this, is there anything she should do or not do in the event she gets questioned? If they ask how long she plans to stay, should she say she'd like to stay for 6 months and/or ask about a visitor's record? She'll have a copy of our marriage certificate and I can give her my paystubs to show that I can support her during a longer visit. And of course, she knows to say it's a visit and that she most definitely does not plan to look for work!

I wasn't too worried about this since it seems quite a few people cross for and stay for longer visits but tonight my mum called and was all worried we were being too sneaky and she's worried my wife will get banned or something. She offered to pay for an immigration lawyer and all that, but don't know what info one could provide beyond what people answer here. So now my anxiety level is up about the situation.

BC29

Apr 4, 2015
forgot to mention, for her PR application she has submitted fingerprints for a police check and we're working on the other paperwork now.

AmericanLady

Oct 27, 2015
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

So it looks like the best course of action would be to be honest and upfront with the Canadian border agent and let him/her know that I am coming for a short visit to see my husband, and have all the required documentation with me (photocopy of the marriage certificate, lease agreement, letter of employment, and return ticket) to prove ties to the US?

Is there any chance (worst case scenario) that if I get a grumpy guard that I can be refused entry even with all the supporting documentation proving ties to the US?

If this were to happen, is there any course of action that I can take, such as to speak to one of their supervisors to explain my case, or would that just ruin my future sponsorship chances if I make a scene?

AmericanLady

Oct 27, 2015
AmericanLady said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

So it looks like the best course of action would be to be honest and upfront with the Canadian border agent and let him/her know that I am coming for a short visit to see my husband, and have all the required documentation with me (photocopy of the marriage certificate, lease agreement, letter of employment, and return ticket) to prove ties to the US?

Is there any chance (worst case scenario) that if I get a grumpy guard that I can be refused entry even with all the supporting documentation proving ties to the US?

If this were to happen, is there any course of action that I can take, such as to speak to one of their supervisors to explain my case, or would that just ruin my future sponsorship chances if I make a scene?
Bump..any input would be graciously appreciated.

Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
AmericanLady said:

You could also pay the PR fees and have that receipt when you cross.

There is always the possibility of being refused entry but the chances are low.

Being refused entry will not have any effect on a sponsorship app.

ayrazar

Jul 2, 2015
My husband (US Citizen) got like:

'Why do they live in Canada?'
'Theyre Canadian. We haven't finished the paperwork yet'
'Oh okay. Drive safe.'

The first time he came up after the marriage. So we didn't have any trouble. Bring a pay-stub to prove you're still working, or something? I always bring one with me.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
My wife visited me many times in Canada before sponsorship and after sponsorship. She told them the purpose of her trip was to visit her fiancee (before we got married) or husband (after we got married). They always asked her how long she planned on visiting. That's basically it. She always had a copy of her flight itinerary to prove she had a return ticket booked just in case. But they never asked.