+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Citizenship

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hello all,

I am currently a Canadian permanent resident. According to the "Physical Presence Calculator" I'll be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship this coming November.

I plan on leaving Canada on January 10th 2020 and return to my home country for a while. I'm not sure for how long yet but it is a one way ticket.

For anyone who has done the application for becoming a Canadian citizen, am I leaving myself enough time between applying in November to when I leave on January 10th? According to this official page,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

I may leave Canada after I've submitted my application form. I will of course return to Canada to take the Exam and do the Oath if all goes to plan.

Will I require a new IELTS pass to prove my English speaking abilities for Citizenship? I'll need to check but I am sure mine expires soon or already has. Anything else I should be aware of (medical, police record checks, etc.) ?

I guess my general question here is how similar is the application process for Citizenship to PR in terms of all the document gathering and information you need to provide?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014

Jayson

Champion Member
Aug 8, 2013
Hello all,

I am currently a Canadian permanent resident. According to the "Physical Presence Calculator" I'll be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship this coming November.

I plan on leaving Canada on January 10th 2020 and return to my home country for a while. I'm not sure for how long yet but it is a one way ticket.

For anyone who has done the application for becoming a Canadian citizen, am I leaving myself enough time between applying in November to when I leave on January 10th? According to this official page,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

I may leave Canada after I've submitted my application form. I will of course return to Canada to take the Exam and do the Oath if all goes to plan.

Will I require a new IELTS pass to prove my English speaking abilities for Citizenship? I'll need to check but I am sure mine expires soon or already has. Anything else I should be aware of (medical, police record checks, etc.) ?

I guess my general question here is how similar is the application process for Citizenship to PR in terms of all the document gathering and information you need to provide?
You’d not require a new IELTS. Expired one is acceptable.

Citizenship process is less complicated and straight forward for those who read the guidelines.

ski

Nov 20, 2013
The only other worry for you is if your application gets returned. If anything is missing in terms of signatures or docs etc, they don't inform you by email, you just get your application back by post. And if you are out of the country, you might not know. Would suggest that you wait until you get AOR which takes around 3 months. Which would push your trip back by a month or a bit more. After AOR, you just have to wait for test invite or if they ask you for finger print request but you'll get an email or see a change in your ECAS.

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Thanks for the replies! Wow, interesting to know an expired IELTS is valid.

Thanks Ski about the advice regarding my application being returned. I actually do have a lot of friends and some family members residing in Ontario that I could have written correspondences posted to. Whether or not that needs to be my actual address or not is something I am unsure of though.