+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 14 citizenship form

sidhu5911

Sep 19, 2013
Do they consider PR card as a travel document ? And i lost my old passport and PR card. Do i need to mention them in 14(a) ?
Or i have police report and copies of my lost documents that i can attach them to explanation letter.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Do they consider PR card as a travel document ? And i lost my old passport and PR card. Do i need to mention them in 14(a) ?
Or i have police report and copies of my lost documents that i can attach them to explanation letter.
PR card is THE travel document..

cursor18

May 31, 2015
Reactions: dpenabill

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hence the host country issues a travel document in lieu of a visa
PR card is a resident card, not a travel doc
We seem to be both right:

The permanent resident card (PR card; French: carte de résident permanent) is an identification document and a travel document for permanent residents of Canada. It is one of the methods by which Canadian permanent residents can prove their status and is, along with the permanent resident travel document (PRTD), one of the only documents that allow permanent residents to return to Canada by a commercial carrier.

cursor18

May 31, 2015
You would definitely need to show PR card either during interview or oath or both. So get it replaced by requesting a new one from CIC for the long run. Dont think it needs to explained in 14a of the form

Lost passport is a bigger issue and needs to be explained in 14a. Yes, i would encourage to make a report and perhaps add an explanation letter into the application as well (along with copy of the police report). Dont think it should affect your citizenship result, but it will lengthen the citizenship process

Get both of them replaced and respective paperwork ready

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
For what it's worth, I only listed my passport for 14a, and got AoR.

The PR card is a valid travel document that you can use to enter Canada once in Canada (have never been asked for my passport); but you will still need your passport in order to check in / board flights.

However if I had say Nexus I might well list it here.