+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query about H1B commuting to US

gabigabi

Oct 27, 2023
Hello,

First, some context.

1) I am an Indian citizen working in SE Michigan on H1B status.

2) I recently got my Canadian PR and began living in Canada (Windsor area) and started commuting to work.

3) My company allows commuting from Canada. They even help with releasing T4 for such employees. However, I haven’t told my US company yet that I have begun living and commuting from Canada.

My question :

Q1) I assume that many companies in US don’t allow employees to commute and work from Canada. I had a recent bad experience with a job interview where the HR representative did not wish to proceed despite me being open to commuting from Canada. Is that the correct impression or am I extrapolating too much based on one bad experience ?

Q2) Does anyone have experience with say maintaining a US home address on US employee records while living and commuting from Canada to work ?

Q3) Does having a US home address in employer record (and by implication in USCIS records) give an advantage in US H1B job hunt compared to someone who declares their Canada home address in the same ?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Why are you surprised.......you have been through Canadian PR process and started commuting. How many people are you helping or replying to in this forum?

If you need help pick up few threads reply to them, I am surprised you just want to take and take, when will you start giving?

These questions are nothing new, search the forums they have been answered multiple times.

1. Companies cannot say donot commute from Canada, they can say you cannot work from Canada, then you have to be present on job site, usually that is where daily commute comes in. As long as you come to work every day, I dont think any company would care where you live.
Only exception I see government jobs and contracts.

2. When I was commuting I had residence both in US and Canada. Usually for running payroll in US you would need a US address.

3.Would never use Canadian address and phone number for hunting jobs in US or vice versa.

justinline

May 19, 2009
---Adding
3. If you are being employed by Canadian enitity and running Canadian payroll then only they can release T4, I dont think they can release T4 for just living in Canada. I just saw one case few years back, where one of the manager would get both W2 and T4. She would usually work 8 months in Canada, then 4 months move to US entity to work. That would include jumping through the hoops needless to say.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

First, some context.

1) I am an Indian citizen working in SE Michigan on H1B status.

2) I recently got my Canadian PR and began living in Canada (Windsor area) and started commuting to work.

3) My company allows commuting from Canada. They even help with releasing T4 for such employees. However, I haven’t told my US company yet that I have begun living and commuting from Canada.

My question :

Q1) I assume that many companies in US don’t allow employees to commute and work from Canada. I had a recent bad experience with a job interview where the HR representative did not wish to proceed despite me being open to commuting from Canada. Is that the correct impression or am I extrapolating too much based on one bad experience ?

Q2) Does anyone have experience with say maintaining a US home address on US employee records while living and commuting from Canada to work ?

Q3) Does having a US home address in employer record (and by implication in USCIS records) give an advantage in US H1B job hunt compared to someone who declares their Canada home address in the same ?
Lying to your employer about your address and the fact that you moved to another country is not something you want your employer to discover after the fact. They are processing things like payroll and deductions based on your previous US address in the US. In general it also leads to trust issues if suddenly they discover that you no longer live in the US.