+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries regarding lifestyle and education in Canada

Hiral Sharma

Oct 4, 2017
Hi Friends,

I am very new to this forum and haven't yet been able to go through the entire discussion board. So, if the question has already been asked (I am sure, hundreds of time before me), please bear with me,

I received my COPR and stamped passports 2 days back and planning to land in Canada in March 2018, I have following questions so far (just the tip of the iceberg, surely):

1. Which city to land? Though I have mentioned Torronto and Ottawa in my application, some say Calgary is also a good option. I checked few threads here but they are all quite old, (2010 or 2013). Do the same information hold true even today? Can you direct me to new threads, if answered already?
2. Can we download the forms that are required to be filled in at the time of landing, beforehand? Can you suggest the link for download, please?
3. Is there any city or area where Indians have large population? Is there any way to get in touch with them before or after landing?
4. Where to stay once we land there? I read it somewhere that the motel is a very costly option. We have no relatives or friends there who can help us. Can you suggest what we should do or provide any contact details?
5. Is there any specifications or requirements as far as your luggage is concerned? The flight luggage is 25 kg per person. Is there any way we can get more luggage from here? Shifting the entire household in mere 25 kg is next to impossible.
6. Is there any list, for example, of the goods that we should ideally be carrying? I mean, medicines, clothes, documents are pretty much standard. Is there anything which we should know to carry from here? What about kitchen supplies-like utensils, spices, grains, flour etc.? What should we carry and what should be bought from there? Can you provide guidance regarding that?
7. At what age does education start in Canada? My baby is 2.5 years old. Does he need to have any education (like playgroup etc.) from here?
8. What about the driving licence? I read somewhere that Indian driving licence is good enough. But, do we need to have international driving licence also? What are the rules for drivers there? Silly of me to ask, but do they have right-hand side steering wheel or left-hand side? We, at India, have right hand side steering wheel in our cars.

Some of the above questions may sound too silly, but I am really having nightmares thinking about one thing or the other going wrong and millions of questions are buzzing in mind. Please, try to provide answers to as many questions as possible. If the answers are already provided here on this forum, can you please provide me links to them?

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much
Hiral Sharma

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) You land at the first port of entry in Canada. Unless you buy your airline ticket that has a stopover in other countries (such as Japan), you won't be landing in Calgary directly.
2) No forms for you to prepare
3) You can try to dig their whatsapp number in the forum where their destination city is Toronto. Otherwise, Surrey, BC has large Indian population too.
4) Airbnb, b&b, check out websites such as Craigslist, Kiiji.ca.
5) Find a international relocation company to ship your belongings or ask your airline for excess baggage. There are other airlines (such as AC, MU, CX) that offers 23kg x 2 per person to consider.
6) Don't bring grain! You should read the Canadian customs website to see what you can bring to Canada and forms to prepare. CBSA.gc.ca is the website.
7) Probably 3. Check your local school board website for details.
8) Check the provincial driver licensing website for details.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiral Sharma

Hiral Sharma

Oct 4, 2017
1) You land at the first port of entry in Canada. Unless you buy your airline ticket that has a stopover in other countries (such as Japan), you won't be landing in Calgary directly.
2) No forms for you to prepare
3) You can try to dig their whatsapp number in the forum where their destination city is Toronto. Otherwise, Surrey, BC has large Indian population too.
4) Airbnb, b&b, check out websites such as Craigslist, Kiiji.ca.
5) Find a international relocation company to ship your belongings or ask your airline for excess baggage. There are other airlines (such as AC, MU, CX) that offers 23kg x 2 per person to consider.
6) Don't bring grain! You should read the Canadian customs website to see what you can bring to Canada and forms to prepare. CBSA.gc.ca is the website.
7) Probably 3. Check your local school board website for details.
8) Check the provincial driver licensing website for details.
thank you sooooooo much steaky, for your answer... I would do just as u suggested and would get back, if any problems come.. Thanks once again..

manavmudgal

Sep 9, 2017
Hi Friends,

I am very new to this forum and haven't yet been able to go through the entire discussion board. So, if the question has already been asked (I am sure, hundreds of time before me), please bear with me,

I received my COPR and stamped passports 2 days back and planning to land in Canada in March 2018, I have following questions so far (just the tip of the iceberg, surely):

1. Which city to land? Though I have mentioned Torronto and Ottawa in my application, some say Calgary is also a good option. I checked few threads here but they are all quite old, (2010 or 2013). Do the same information hold true even today? Can you direct me to new threads, if answered already?
2. Can we download the forms that are required to be filled in at the time of landing, beforehand? Can you suggest the link for download, please?
3. Is there any city or area where Indians have large population? Is there any way to get in touch with them before or after landing?
4. Where to stay once we land there? I read it somewhere that the motel is a very costly option. We have no relatives or friends there who can help us. Can you suggest what we should do or provide any contact details?
5. Is there any specifications or requirements as far as your luggage is concerned? The flight luggage is 25 kg per person. Is there any way we can get more luggage from here? Shifting the entire household in mere 25 kg is next to impossible.
6. Is there any list, for example, of the goods that we should ideally be carrying? I mean, medicines, clothes, documents are pretty much standard. Is there anything which we should know to carry from here? What about kitchen supplies-like utensils, spices, grains, flour etc.? What should we carry and what should be bought from there? Can you provide guidance regarding that?
7. At what age does education start in Canada? My baby is 2.5 years old. Does he need to have any education (like playgroup etc.) from here?
8. What about the driving licence? I read somewhere that Indian driving licence is good enough. But, do we need to have international driving licence also? What are the rules for drivers there? Silly of me to ask, but do they have right-hand side steering wheel or left-hand side? We, at India, have right hand side steering wheel in our cars.

Some of the above questions may sound too silly, but I am really having nightmares thinking about one thing or the other going wrong and millions of questions are buzzing in mind. Please, try to provide answers to as many questions as possible. If the answers are already provided here on this forum, can you please provide me links to them?

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much
Hiral Sharma
You can try any of the free pre-arrival settlement services given by Canadian Government. You must have received a booklet alongwith COPR which contains the list of the agencies providing these services. It's really helpful and they will guide you throughout.

Reactions: Hiral Sharma