+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Application- Passport Place of Birth issue

guri3898

Apr 22, 2024
Hello everyone, I am applying for my spouse for immigration and have some questions.
1. Place of birth on her passport and birth certificate are different. One is of her maternal home and one is paternal. Offices in India are not changing her birth certificate. Can you please advise if I can add an explanation letter explaining this will work or should I aim for getting her passport updated instead. I called BLS and they dont have any info about place of birth change and asked me to contact consulate directly whom are not picking up the phone.
2. I currently live in Montreal and work oermit of my spouse is upto Jan 2025. Is applying from Montreal under Quebec a good option or moving to another province is better?

Please advise.

Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone, I am applying for my spouse for immigration and have some questions.
1. Place of birth on her passport and birth certificate are different. One is of her maternal home and one is paternal. Offices in India are not changing her birth certificate. Can you please advise if I can add an explanation letter explaining this will work or should I aim for getting her passport updated instead. I called BLS and they dont have any info about place of birth change and asked me to contact consulate directly whom are not picking up the phone.
2. I currently live in Montreal and work oermit of my spouse is upto Jan 2025. Is applying from Montreal under Quebec a good option or moving to another province is better?
1. Short letter of explanation should be enough. These differences between docs are not uncommon (and moreso it seems in India).
2. It may be 'better' to apply from another province but only if truly move/reside there.

guri3898

Apr 22, 2024
1. Short letter of explanation should be enough. These differences between docs are not uncommon (and moreso it seems in India).
2. It may be 'better' to apply from another province but only if truly move/reside there.
Thank you for quick reply.
2. If I can get Work from home with same company, and move to Ontario, will that be a possible solution or finding a new job is better?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for quick reply.
2. If I can get Work from home with same company, and move to Ontario, will that be a possible solution or finding a new job is better?
As long as you are physically residing in Ontario and it is real, you should be okay. (of course a job in Ontario might be 'better' but likely not a big difference)

Note, you'll have to figure out your taxes (you will be taxed as ontario resident, but employer filing in QC, so there will be some adjustments). May be worth hiring a tax professional.

You should also submit info when applying that demonstrate you are residing in ON, eg lease and some utilities, and perhaps that you left QC (cancelled lease?).

Whether this is all worth it in terms of increased speed of processing etc - I couldn't possibly guess except to say that QC ones are taking longer but that could change. Some are getting approved more quickly in QC too.

Last edited:
Reactions: guri3898