+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

protector stamp when traveling back from Pakistan with a worker visa

dnclem

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

I travelled to Canada in 2021 on a study permit and recently graduated; I now possess a work permit and work full-time as a contractor for a company. I travelled back to Pakistan in late December and had my flight today, but was denied boarding because I didn't have a "protector stamp" on my passport. I had no idea about this, but apparently it is required for Pakistani citizens.

Can someone tell me what documents are required to obtain this stamp? From what I can tell, I need to present my passport (w/ the work visa), work permit, offer letter, and CNIC. Is a medical report required? I went through a medical test when I went to study, but no longer have any medical-related documents. Also, is it problematic if I'm currently employed as a contractor and not full time? This is more or less a probation period since I did just a week in December before the holidays and the company will likely promote me full-time after a couple of months of working there.

Thank you!

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi,

I travelled to Canada in 2021 on a study permit and recently graduated; I now possess a work permit and work full-time as a contractor for a company. I travelled back to Pakistan in late December and had my flight today, but was denied boarding because I didn't have a "protector stamp" on my passport. I had no idea about this, but apparently it is required for Pakistani citizens.

Can someone tell me what documents are required to obtain this stamp? From what I can tell, I need to present my passport (w/ the work visa), work permit, offer letter, and CNIC. Is a medical report required? I went through a medical test when I went to study, but no longer have any medical-related documents. Also, is it problematic if I'm currently employed as a contractor and not full time? This is more or less a probation period since I did just a week in December before the holidays and the company will likely promote me full-time after a couple of months of working there.

Thank you!
Try researching this thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/protector-required-for-open-work-permit-pakistani-citizen.740223/

Hope this helps...

dnclem

Jul 1, 2020
I got the required stamp from the Protector of Emigrants office in Karachi today (took approximately one hour). There is a lot of outdated information on these forums, so I'm just going to provide some key points below. For reference, I studied in Canada, switched to a PGWP permit, and then returned to Pakistan after getting my PGWP and worker visa.

• I brought my original CNIC, father's CNIC, passport, work permit, and a printout of my job offer contract, along with 3 copies of each.
  • I filled in this form and made a few copies of it. Filling in the form online will save you a lot of time, as data entry will otherwise be done by a biometrics officer.
  • You don't need a NICOP anymore. An officer told me this was a requirement in the past.
  • There is a bank counter within the premises, so no need to ever go outside the building for any paperwork.
  • I did not need to provide a medical/police certificate.
  • The total charge was 9200 for me.
  • I reached the office at around 9:45am. There wasn't a rush, but it did seem like a few more people were trickling in by around 11 when I left. Still don't think it was crowded at that time, though.

There is some moving around within the premises to different counters and offices, but the photocopier fellow really does guide you where to go each time. He asked me to pay 190 for processing charges, but I gave him 500 because he was doing a good job for everyone and seemed appreciative. Every officer was friendly and surprisingly efficient.

Last edited: