+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"PROTECTED PERSON"

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
I'm filling out the Citizenship Physical Presence Calculator and have a few questions but first, a brief background story:

I came to Canada as a visitor on a six month Visa. During that time I was married and, applied for PR when I was slightly over six month period my visa allowed The PR took about two and a half years. During that time I was under the understanding that while my status was being determined I was not to travel out of country so, was under what is, by some, referred to as 'implied status.'

Is this correct?

I received my PR in January of 2017.

I then went back to my country of birth on 2018, with my husband for seven months and then returned back to Canada shortly after.

Now, I am applying for citizenship and am faced with two more questions;

While I was under what I referred to as 'implied status' is that considered a 'protected person?'

and:

The citizenship form states that if I am out of country for more than 183 days, I need to provide a police certificate. I still have PR but, was out of Canada for more than 183 (something like 240 days.) I suppose I don't need to ask this question as the form is pretty explicite but, considering I have PR is it possible I get a pass because of good looks and wishful thinking or, am I going to have to do it the hard way and bird dog this certificate down across the globe to bring it home?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I'm filling out the Citizenship Physical Presence Calculator and have a few questions but first, a brief background story:

I came to Canada as a visitor on a six month Visa. During that time I was married and, applied for PR when I was slightly over six month period my visa allowed The PR took about two and a half years. During that time I was under the understanding that while my status was being determined I was not to travel out of country so, was under what is, by some, referred to as 'implied status.'

Is this correct?

I received my PR in January of 2017.

I then went back to my country of birth on 2018, with my husband for seven months and then returned back to Canada shortly after.

Now, I am applying for citizenship and am faced with two more questions;

While I was under what I referred to as 'implied status' is that considered a 'protected person?'

and:

The citizenship form states that if I am out of country for more than 183 days, I need to provide a police certificate. I still have PR but, was out of Canada for more than 183 (something like 240 days.) I suppose I don't need to ask this question as the form is pretty explicite but, considering I have PR is it possible I get a pass because of good looks and wishful thinking or, am I going to have to do it the hard way and bird dog this certificate down across the globe to bring it home?
If you submitted your PR application before your period of authorized stay expired and you were awaiting a decision, then that might qualify you for implied status AFAIK. As long as you did not hear anything back from CBSA or IRCC about your 'slight' overstay, you should not have problems and can probably assume you were indeed on implied status IMO.

No. Implied status has nothing to do with being a protected person. You are considered a protected person if you are a Convention Refugee or if IRCC approved your pre-removal risk assessment (again related to being a refugee). None of this applies to you.

You MUST submit police certificates from ALL the countries you've lived in for 183 days or more in the past 4 years from the date of the application.