+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Separation

Dopags

Nov 8, 2022
Hello!

IRCC is asking for a proof of separation for my mother’s application. My mom and dad are separated for a long time and my Dad already loved here in Canada. But they are not legally separated in the Philippines because there’s no action taken to obtain any legal papers of that. What proof of separation can I submit?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello!

IRCC is asking for a proof of separation for my mother’s application. My mom and dad are separated for a long time and my Dad already loved here in Canada. But they are not legally separated in the Philippines because there’s no action taken to obtain any legal papers of that. What proof of separation can I submit?
Given the circumstances (long time apart, living in different countries, from PH where divorce not allowed), I'd suggest a simple affidavit from each/declaration of separation plus factual info that father resides in Canada would be enough. While the affidavit/statement may not technically require a lawyer/notary, in this case it would likely be better to do so.

I'd also guess that the statement of being separated does not need a specific form: just a statement that the relationship is over and reside separately (dates, etc) and the lawyer/notary signs to attest that statement witnessed before them.

Almost any lawyer or notary would likely be able to come up with a simple form/statement that would serve (at least in Canada, may be a bit different in some places).

Nikita251290

Nov 20, 2022
I am in the same situation where I am still married but not living with the husband anymore from last 4 years. No divorce proceedings has been done yet. Officer has asked me to provide a proof of separation or the divorce certificate. I have no idea how I can convince the officer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the same situation where I am still married but not living with the husband anymore from last 4 years. No divorce proceedings has been done yet. Officer has asked me to provide a proof of separation or the divorce certificate. I have no idea how I can convince the officer.
Are you from a country where divorce is possible?