Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
Hello everyone!

I’m currently a PR from the states and have lived in Canada for well over the allotted time to become a citizen. I don’t have proof of language from the states and I didn’t have to take any tests when I became a PR or even show proof of language.

Do I have to now if I apply for citizenship even though I didn’t need to when applying for PR?

If I have to get proof (like taking a test to get a certificate) which test am I supposed to take? The CELPIP general or the CELPIP LS? Are both required or can it be just one?

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello everyone!

I’m currently a PR from the states and have lived in Canada for well over the allotted time to become a citizen. I don’t have proof of language from the states and I didn’t have to take any tests when I became a PR or even show proof of language.

Do I have to now if I apply for citizenship even though I didn’t need to when applying for PR?

If I have to get proof (like taking a test to get a certificate) which test am I supposed to take? The CELPIP general or the CELPIP LS? Are both required or can it be just one?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
I don’t have proof as I’ve stated above. No diploma or certificates. Anyone else? :(

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Hello everyone!

Were you born in the US?
If not you have to get the language tests as foodie69 stated above.

missboon

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-11-2013
I wonder why s/he wasn't asked for the language proficiency proof during the PR application process...
Yes I was born in the USA. I’m not sure why they didn’t ask for any language proof either which is why I wondered if I did indeed need to show proof of language.

Is the CELPIP- LS just listening and speaking? And should that alone be enough proof? I was confused as to whether I needed to do both CELPIP general and CELPIP LS which would be very time consuming and costly.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Yes I was born in the USA. I’m not sure why they didn’t ask for any language proof either which is why I wondered if I did indeed need to show proof of language.

Is the CELPIP- LS just listening and speaking? And should that alone be enough proof? I was confused as to whether I needed to do both CELPIP general and CELPIP LS which would be very time consuming and costly.
1/ Just listening and speaking.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)

Was your PR application under Spousal sponsorship.? if yes, that's the reason why IRCC didn't ask for proof of language. It's not a requirement.

Having said that, I am not so sure about the CELPIP LS as I didn't have that test before. Sorry. maybe other members will be able to answer your question.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Since you were born in the USA, you shouldn't have any issue passing the test with flying colour :)
As others mentioned, just take the CELPIP-LS to satisfy the language requirement.
Hopefully, other members who are American who applied for Canadian citizenship can chime in to help you if we are missing something.