+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prohibitions under the citizenship act

Capboy

Nov 21, 2017
I would like to refer to a specific subsection 16-3(b) Are you now charged with,on trial for,or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to an offence outside Canada.
My seperated spouse has levied false cases against me outside Canada as she was aware that this would affect my citizenship application and wants me to give back to my country,No charges has been laid against me till date.
Lawyer in Canada is asking for a big amount to fill the application form so i am wondering if i really need a lawyer or can i file a reply to explain my situation or is it advisable to be ignorant and declare that none of the situations apply to me.
Are dowry charges/domestic violence considered to be indictable charges and do I have to select yes in the answer and explain .
Any experiences/advise or references would be appreciated to help me solve this particular question.Thanks

Last edited:

abradabra

Sep 1, 2021
Hey Capboy, unfortunately, I am in the same spot right now as you were. How did you apply for citizenship and did you get through?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I would like to refer to a specific subsection 16-3(b) Are you now charged with,on trial for,or subject to or a party to an appeal relating to an offence outside Canada.
My seperated spouse has levied false cases against me outside Canada as she was aware that this would affect my citizenship application and wants me to give back to my country,No charges has been laid against me till date.
Lawyer in Canada is asking for a big amount to fill the application form so i am wondering if i really need a lawyer or can i file a reply to explain my situation or is it advisable to be ignorant and declare that none of the situations apply to me.
Are dowry charges/domestic violence considered to be indictable charges and do I have to select yes in the answer and explain .
Any experiences/advise or references would be appreciated to help me solve this particular question.Thanks
Hey Capboy, unfortunately, I am in the same spot right now as you were. How did you apply for citizenship and did you get through?
These are serious matters that definitely need lawyer's assistance. DO NOT proceed without talking to your lawyer about it. We're not lawyers and we don't know the law the way they do.

If I were you, I'd certainly go hire a lawyer and follow what they say.

abradabra

Sep 1, 2021
I understand, and you are right that this is getting into a criminal lawyer's domain. I was just trying to pick from the experience of the community.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
If I understand your concern correctly, NO CHARGES have been laid on you and the acquisitions are still on trial.

Usually, you are considered a criminal when and if charges are proven against you and you have been convicted as a criminal.

This happened to one of my friends. He got falsely blamed and caused domestic violence and a case was put up against him in the court of law.

however, with that case, since it was under trial and he applied directly for citizenship without going through a lawyer and his case is finalized and waiting for the oath.

But, I have to agree with @rajkamalmohanram on this that we are not lawyers and don't have much idea.

What I can suggest you read the IRCC citizenship process flow along with the clauses in detail which are available on the IRCC site for public view to see if you can or cannot apply.

danzaf19

Feb 22, 2018
These are serious matters that definitely need lawyer's assistance. DO NOT proceed without talking to your lawyer about it. We're not lawyers and we don't know the law the way they do.

If I were you, I'd certainly go hire a lawyer and follow what they say.
Hi @rajkamalmohanram :: I have been wondering on the internet for quite some time. Need help for a similar situation, the only leverage I have is that I am a Canadian citizen and planning to serve a uncontested divorce. To begin with, I have submitted my initial divorce application "8A" at the "Superior Court of Justice" Ontario. Just trying to find a way to serve that notice to her in India. I know it has to be through proper channels but I am not sure which one.