+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prohibition form

Nani123

Feb 17, 2019
Hello i received oath letter and prohibition form.
Question i have on first page of prohibition letter
Surname , given name , application number, group no, uci and date are blank. Should i write by myself or they supposed to be printed those information on the letter?

fzy951113

Dec 6, 2017
Cause for my friends printed already. Any one had this before. ?
You can either print it out, filled it out, and bring to the test, hand it to interviewer when called.
Or, you can just go to the test place and you will be handed over a same copy of prohibition form, fill it out, hand it to interviewer when called.

Reactions: Nani123

Nani123

Feb 17, 2019
You can either print it out, filled it out, and bring to the test, hand it to interviewer when called.
Or, you can just go to the test place and you will be handed over a same copy of prohibition form, fill it out, hand it to interviewer when called.
It is ceremony, there is no interviewer anymore

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello i received oath letter . . .
CONGRATULATIONS!

It is ceremony, there is no interviewer anymore
There is an IRCC official who conducts a check-in of all citizenship-candidates. It is largely perfunctory but it has at least THREE critical steps: verification of identity; final affirmation of NO prohibitions; and surrender of PR card.

Candidates MAY be asked to present any or ALL of the documents the NOTICE instructs the applicant to bring, but for the majority it appears (based on the overwhelming number of concurring reports, which are consistent with my own experience at the ceremony) all the check-in asks for is the Notice letter, PR card, and the signed prohibitions form.

Precise procedure regarding the prohibition forms appears to vary some from office to office, maybe even from ceremony to ceremony. Thus, as @fzy951113 observes, there are alternative ways in which this is done when the check-in official is engaging with the candidate.

"OATH CEREMONY"

Your emphasizing it is a "ceremony" highlights something of an incongruity in the characterization of the event. IRCC, and CIC before it, and indeed multiple aspects of the Canadian government refer to this event as a "ceremony," and it does indeed have many of the attributes which characterize ceremonies in contrast to qualifying-events like the test, the PI Interview, or other potential events like a Citizenship Officer Interview or a hearing with a Citizenship Judge. BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, the oath event is a qualifying step in the process. The check-in is largely perfunctory but it is still a substantive formality. IRCC officials MUST be satisfied that the individual appearing for the ceremony has been properly identified and is still eligible, right up to that moment, to be granted citizenship. Moreover, the candidate MUST actually take the oath as a condition of the grant. These are not merely ceremonial.

It does not happen often. Not at all. But occasionally candidates scheduled for the oath are NOT allowed to proceed with taking the oath, and may be subject to further processing. This is RARE (example: a domestic violence arrest the week before the oath is scheduled pops up in the final GCMS check or the candidate does what the candidate is required to do, and informs the check-in official of the arrest, and thus the candidate is prohibited from a grant of citizenship).

Question i have on first page of prohibition letter
Surname , given name , application number, group no, uci and date are blank. Should i write by myself or they supposed to be printed those information on the letter?
AS TO THE PROHIBITIONS FORM ITSELF: No need to worry. Bring the documents your notice instructs you to bring. Bring the form you have. One way or another it will be finalized during your check-in. All should go well.

Whether you fill it out in advance or not, I cannot guess what is expected of you in particular. All I can suggest is that you follow the instructions in your specific notice as best you can, based on your best understanding of them. But again, no reason to worry. The check-in official will accommodate you regarding this. As long as you have no prohibitions and there is nothing else about you suggesting there is something wrong, the IRCC officials will make sure things are done the way they need to be done. THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

Again, this is news demanding CONGRATULATIONS and telling you it is time to celebrate. The journey to becoming a Canadian citizen is crossing the finish line.

Reactions: Nani123