+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems to get a travel document.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Check your expired PR Card - under the name will be an 8 digit number in the format 1234-5678. This is your client ID number. Its is also on your COPR document when you landed. Its better for the visa post, the IAD and CIC to be using the same correct Client ID. In the interim using the visa, IAD number and Client ID is the best option.

2. As I mentioned before the visa posts have some latitude to allow for local conditions in operational issues but they can't just disregard the law. Your initial TD request really should have been dealt with by now. The only excuse the visa post will have is that the emails go to a central repository and then are assigned then dealt with. Have the visa post dealt with any of your previous inquiries much faster? Maybe someone has realized they messed up and now no one wants to be responsible. I'd say give it another 2 weeks which unfortunately takes us to the holiday season.

3. Below is what CIC OP1 (updated Nov 2013) states in regards to MP queries:

Timeframe for responses to parliamentarians

The standard for reply to MP enquiries is one week (or five working days). Where a substantive
reply within one week is not possible, the MP's office should be advised within one week of receipt
of the enquiry that a reply will be provided shortly and by a specific date. Such delays should be
exceptional and short. Ideally, MPs should receive a response within two (2) working days.
Program managers are responsible for either preparing replies to MPs personally, or closely and
regularly monitoring replies sent by their office for both quality and timeliness. Note that visa
offices must reply to all MP requests.

I guess the Moscow Visa Post doesn't care about what their own rules are eh!! There is an issue at the post. Keep all correspondence for future use because at some point in time it seems that you may have to take this to the Federal Court. You would be awarded costs if you win. It may also be a consideration for citizenship processing in consideration of your residence but this is a secondary issue for now.

4. You can write to the Moscow Visa Post referring to your letter of 25th. I suggest you both email and fax/ courier the same letter to include the previous clauses of the IRPA reviewed on TD issuance. Again send to the visa post, MP, CIC Minister. In this way the visa post doesn't say the email never showed up since somebody will have signed for the delivery. The visa post makes reference to Pony Express as a preferred courier for KZ and adjoining ex USSR countries.

5. There is no one else above the visa post you can really write to since you already cc'd the Minister for CIC. However you can write to the IAD and say the visa post refuses to issue you a TD for the appeal and that the IAD direct CIC to issue the TD within a given timeline.

6. Via ATIP process you should be re-directed to the visa post for out of Canada applications. You will need the correct Client ID/ File Number etc as used by the visa post. When you get to the actual request ask for a 'physical file' of your PRTD.

Good luck

Romanataa

Sep 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri,

Help me please again.

I've just got a respond from Moscow they say:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please be advised that you did not provide sufficient evidence on your PRTD application that you were in Canada in May 2013 or at any point in the last 365 days and therefore a travel document will not be issued to you.

I do not understand anything. In the resusal letter they say that the officer was satisfied and I sent tons of proofs.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Write to the IAD with original correspondence from Visa Post confirming you meet the 365 days requirement for TD issuance and request tthey issue directions for this. Include copy of recent refusal stating this is contrary to their prior letter and evidence on file which you provided to Visa Post.

2. Write the same to the MP.

3. Get a lawyer ready for taking this to the Federal Court- there is something about your file and application that is out of place and/or someone at the Moscow Visa Post is messing with your file. I think you can't get any further on this forum.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good luck. If I was a lawyer I'd relish taking this to the courts as evidence of incompetence and abuse of due process. This highlights the risk of travel without a valid PR Card as the application of a TD is in the hands of someone at the visa post that doesn't know and/or want to follow the rules. As a side note Canadian Citizens of KZ origin get additional considerations for KZ visitor visas e.g. additional days, cheaper processing, longer term stays etc so when this is all resolved apply for Citizenship so you never have to go through this again. Its also prudent for PR Card holders to apply for and obtain US visas to enable land border crossings.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Msafiri,
Great points. I am a KZ citizen. I got a 10 year B1/B2 visa. That is a good idea.

As for Canadian citizens of KZ origin, they can get home stay visa in KZ.
Some KZ citizens hold Canadian passports as well which is illegal. Now the KZ consulates/embassies require KZ origin people to provide evidence that they renounced KZ citizenships.

Romanataa

Sep 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, Msafiri,

It's me again. I hope my story comes to the end.
On December 12 I wrote a letter to Moscow with the all documents I have. I copied this letter to Minister and MP. On Monday MP called to my husband and said that he read my letter and couldn't understand why they deny issuing the TD. MP decided to contact someone in the ministers office in Ottawa and they wrote a letter to Moscow. Yesterday, MP called to my husband and said that Moscow approved the TD for me on December 15 (hope its the truth because December 15 was on Sunday). I haven't received the letter from Moscow yet. I guess I should get a physical letter to go to the MOM with that to send my passport to Moscow. I will tell you when I get my TD.

Guys, Msafiri THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! You help me a lot. If did not meet you I would never known about MP, my right and so on. THANK YOU, THAK YOU!!!!!

PEOPLE!!!!! DO NOT LEAVE CANADA WITHOUT VALID DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!!!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations and good luck. Let us know when you get the TD. Yes its important to know your civic rights and how MPs can be helpful...its amazing what one phone call can do eh!!

Romanataa

Sep 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys, hi Msafiri,

As Msafiri has already known I came back home at the end of January. I'm in Canada and I'm so happy :)))
Today I've got my PR Card by mail :) unfortunately, it expired on April 24 2015. I don't know why and I think I have to apply one more time.
I am going to apply for citizenship as soon as I get any documents from CIC Edmonton or Appeal Devision.

Thank you a lot :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Romanataa said:
Hi Guys, hi Msafiri,

As Msafiri has already known I came back home at the end of January. I'm in Canada and I'm so happy :)))
Today I've got my PR Card by mail :) unfortunately, it expired on April 24 2015. I don't know why and I think I have to apply one more time.
I am going to apply for citizenship as soon as I get any documents from CIC Edmonton or Appeal Devision.

Thank you a lot :)
During the appeal for your PR status, they will only issue PR cards with a one year validity.

Romanataa

Sep 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone.

Last week I got a letter from CIC Edmonton. It says that Ministers counsel is satisfied that I wasn't absent from Canada for more than 730 days. The end of my story is coming :)

Thank you very much for your help.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Excellent news.. Glad it's all sorted out.

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
Romanataa, Congratulations!

I have been a PR for 4+ years now and wasn't actually planning to ever apply for citizenship. I changed my mind after I read about your ordeal and sent my application last month. Your story is the inspiration behind my citizenship application.