+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem: Work Permit and Job Offer, Catch 22

KarlCarp

Jan 5, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm Karl and I'm an American from Washington DC. I have a Bachelors in Business Economics, and about 2.5 years of work experience in IT and Business Marketing. Here's my problem.....

My goal is to get a work permit and job in Canada, and have that eventually lead to PR and citizenship down the line. I've read that someone cannot get a Work Permit without having a job offer first. But when I apply to Canadian Jobs, there is always a question along the lines of, "Are you legally allowed to work in Canada", implying that I need to have a work permit already in order to get the job. Basically this means that one cannot get a work permit without a job offer, but one cannot get a job offer without a work permit. It's a classic Catch 22.

I've heard a way around this conundrum is to apply to an American company with offices in Canada, and then they'll take care of all the permit and visa paperwork for me. But I feel like the Canadian work permit and immigration rules are in a constant state of flux. What should I do? Any help from anyone on here would be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're running into the barrier that many encounter when they try to move to Canada to work. It's very difficult for foreign workers to find jobs because the majority of Canadian employers will only consider candidates who are already legally allowed to work in Canada.

In order to hire a foreign worker, a Canadian employer must prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire for the role. They must then request approval to hire the foreign worker from the Canadian government (this request is not always approved - especially if the approving government body thinks the employer should have reasonably been able to find a Canadian for the position).

Unfortunately your professions (business and IT) fall into the categories of jobs where it's quite difficult to obtain approval to hire a foreign worker. There are many Canadians with experience, education and expertise in these areas - consequently it's difficult for employers to prove they can't find a Canadian for their roles.

As for what you should do - there's unfortunately no easy or quick answer. The only thing you can do is keep looking for jobs and keep applying - and hopefully you'll run into an employer who is willing to go through the paperwork and waiting time to hire a foreign worker.

If you are already working for an American company with offices in Canada - then an internal transfer to the Canadian offices might be an option.

Good luck.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Here's the deal. In order for an employer to get a work permit, they must prove they cannot find a qualified Canadian to fill the position.

Business degrees are the most common, so there are always many candidates for most business job. The exceptions are very specialized fields or remote locations.

In order to get a work permit, you'll probably need to get in direct contact with these hiring managers to try to sell yourself. However, most employees simply do not hire foreigners as company policy, no exceptions. My own employer from the USA won't hire me in Canada despite my qualifications (#1 in the entire company anyone?). No foreigners period.

Finding a job will be hard. I've been trying for 18 months with little luck. However, it can happen. You either need to know the right people or get very lucky.

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
amikety said:
Here's the deal. In order for an employer to get a work permit, they must prove they cannot find a qualified Canadian to fill the position.

Finding a job will be hard. I've been trying for 18 months with little luck. However, it can happen. You either need to know the right people or get very lucky.
That´s why Canadian TFW recruitment agencies are irreplaceable or inescapeable.They scavenge the work terrain looking for Canadian companies in need of TFW and also of someone to take care of the paperwork, particularly applying for, obtaining and getting the names on the LMO. Although many sources on the Internet deride the as "villains", they may be considered a "necessary evil". Of course, these agencies won´t be of much use to foreign workers with higher levels of education and qualification, because that´s not what they´re or the companies they provide service to are looking for. But, if you´re a welder, carpenter, forklift operator, food counter attendant, estimator, etc.... well, then scenario looks far more promising, particularly for workers more flexible and compromising.