+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private insurance for 3 months after landing - Husband, wife and newborn - Toronto, Ontario

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi all,

My wife is due to give birth in August and we are planning to move to Canada a few months after.

I am looking at some different companies for the insurance the first 3 months before we get the OHIP.

Is there any providers that you can recommend, and is there any special reason to pay being the minimum apart from saving on out of pocket charges?

Hope you are all staying safe!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi Streaky, Do you think that would still be in place 6 months from now? I saw the news but I was guessing that it would be a temporary measure?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In 6 months, you would have a newly born. Moving sooner is better for both the mom and newly born child.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Hi Streaky, thats a good point. However since we got the COPR today 31st March, we are not allowed to fly to Canada right now (only people with COPR issued before 18th March are allowed right now) we will have to wait to see if this changes in the near future.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Streaky, Do you think that would still be in place 6 months from now? I saw the news but I was guessing that it would be a temporary measure?
Unlikely this is just so that people seek treatment for covid and don’t spread it because they fear a bill. There a few insurance options. Would recommend a Canadian company versus an insurer from your home country. Insurance is usually only emergency coverage so is reasonably priced. Lots of information online.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
@canuck yes thats what I figured, no point counting on that. I have gotten a few quotes already from the biggest global carriers will most likely go with them.

LinBin

Apr 1, 2020
@jorgenmunk1983 My husband is in a similar situation, I would love to know which global carriers you got quotes from! That would be so helpful. I checked Canadian insurance companies and I don't know if I am missing something, but I can't find any company that provides OHIP like coverage for new PR residents.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
@LinBin please be aware that it wont be like OHIP since its mostly for emergency help. I would suggest you contact Cigna they have great plans from 100$ to 250$. My experience with them so far has been very positive. Best of luck.

Reactions: LinBin

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@jorgenmunk1983 My husband is in a similar situation, I would love to know which global carriers you got quotes from! That would be so helpful. I checked Canadian insurance companies and I don't know if I am missing something, but I can't find any company that provides OHIP like coverage for new PR residents.
people must pay for routine car in the first 3 months. Also if someone has a preexisting condition emergencies related to that condition may not be covered. You will have to look into the fine print,

Reactions: LinBin

LinBin

Apr 1, 2020
people must pay for routine car in the first 3 months. Also if someone has a preexisting condition emergencies related to that condition may not be covered. You will have to look into the fine print,
Thank you so much, I will definitely look into it. I just want to cover all bases, I would rather be safe than sorry!