+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Primary Occupation" in CEC Express Entry Profile (Work History section)

Misa23

Feb 12, 2023
I'm creating my Express Entry profile under the Canadian Experience Class and I'm stuck at the Work History section -- specifically the first block where it says "Primary Occupation."

I have worked in two occupations (6 months each) to complete my one-year work experience. I thought this section would have space for multiple NOCs, but it only has one. I know and am aware that the "Work History" block at the bottom of this section has space to add as many occupations/work experiences with NOCs and dates. However, the way that the IRCC describes the "Primary Occupation" section is confusing me. According to their description (pasted below), whatever I choose to put in the Primary Occupation section is what my application will be based on -- the concern here is both my jobs have been 6 months in duration so far (with my current job exceeding that as days go on). So if they consider one, it will only mean 6 months of work experience. I've been advised that under the CEC, you can have multiple work experiences adding up to the minimum 1 year requirement -- so I'm not worried about that.

MY QUESTION: Does it matter which of my jobs' NOC code I put in the Primary Occupation section? If so, which one should I put?

I'd really appreciate some help understanding this! Thanks!!

[Additional info for context around my question below]

PRIMARY OCCUPATION (as mentioned in Express Entry Profile)

The text to explain what is being asked of me:

This means the job [APPLICANT NAME] has experience in and wants to base the immigration application on. This is how we will determine your eligibility for federal programs. You will need to know the job title and the NOC for the primary occupation and for any other jobs you add, as well as for any job offer.

The text that appears when I click on the "?" next to the statement above:
'Primary Occupation' is the job you have experience in, and that we will use to assess if you meet the minimum requirements for programs under Express Entry.

Note: Your primary occupation may not be your most recent work experience. It is the job you have the required experience in, and want to base your application on. If you do not have the minimum work experience in the primary occupation National Occupational Classification (NOC) that you choose, you may be ineligible.

[... continued on but irrelevant to this question]

sbali

Jan 13, 2023
A
I'm creating my Express Entry profile under the Canadian Experience Class and I'm stuck at the Work History section -- specifically the first block where it says "Primary Occupation."

I have worked in two occupations (6 months each) to complete my one-year work experience. I thought this section would have space for multiple NOCs, but it only has one. I know and am aware that the "Work History" block at the bottom of this section has space to add as many occupations/work experiences with NOCs and dates. However, the way that the IRCC describes the "Primary Occupation" section is confusing me. According to their description (pasted below), whatever I choose to put in the Primary Occupation section is what my application will be based on -- the concern here is both my jobs have been 6 months in duration so far (with my current job exceeding that as days go on). So if they consider one, it will only mean 6 months of work experience. I've been advised that under the CEC, you can have multiple work experiences adding up to the minimum 1 year requirement -- so I'm not worried about that.

MY QUESTION: Does it matter which of my jobs' NOC code I put in the Primary Occupation section? If so, which one should I put?

This means the job [APPLICANT NAME] has experience in and wants to base the immigration application on. This is how we will determine your eligibility for federal programs. You will need to know the job title and the NOC for the primary occupation and for any other jobs you add, as well as for any job offer.

'Primary Occupation' is the job you have experience in, and that we will use to assess if you meet the minimum requirements for programs under Express Entry.

Note: Your primary occupation may not be your most recent work experience. It is the job you have the required experience in, and want to base your application on. If you do not have the minimum work experience in the primary occupation National Occupational Classification (NOC) that you choose, you may be ineligible.

As long as both NOC's qualify as skilled worker there is no problem.

sbali

Jan 13, 2023

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means work experienced gained in TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3 job categories. Your work experience can be in 1 or more of these categories.

Misa23

Feb 12, 2023
A

As long as both NOC's qualify as skilled worker there is no problem.
Thank you for the comment! My main confusion is which one of my work experience NOC should go in the PRIMARY OCCUPATION section - past or present?

Misa23

Feb 12, 2023
Give all your experience details with noc
Hey thanks for the response but I don't think you understood my question. I will provide all of my employment history in the appropriate section. My question has to do specifically with the Primary Occupation section - where you can only provide ONE NOC code.

sbali

Jan 13, 2023
Thank you for the comment! My main confusion is which one of my work experience NOC should go in the PRIMARY OCCUPATION section - past or present?
Past or present does not matter, either one if noc qualifies for PR

satreg123

Feb 18, 2023
Does this mean, my old experience which is in 2014, can still be mentioned as the Primary Occupation JOB consideration?
As my current job NOC(21230) is different and old NOC job code(21231) is different and this job has more experience. Which is the one to choose my PR application to be based on?

Any inputs?

Nam@24

Mar 18, 2024
Hi,
I am creating an express entry profile, but I have a confusion around primary occupation part.
I worked 2 different jobs and planning to combine the experience for my application. My first job was Teer-2 category (10 months) and second job is Teer-0 (current job). Is it possible I can provide the second job as primary occupation, even though it is only been 3 months since I joined there.
Please let me know.
Thank you.