+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Travel Document - Is it necessary for my situation?

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I asked this question awhile back but now it's for real and would appreciate your help.

As the subject states, I am currently in the UK with my CAD spouse (was living in Canada for last 5 years and renewed my PR card 6 months ago).

My PR card has expired just a few days ago and yesterday my parents in Canada told me that my PR Renewal letter came and notifying me to pickup my new PR later this month.

Do you think I need to go through the hassle of getting a PR Travel Document here in the UK? Or can I go with my CAD Spouse to Canada later this month with my UK passport + expired PR card and show the immmigration officer the letter I received from CIC stating to come and pick up my PR Card.

I should be allowed into Canada with my UK passport alone no? Or does my status change because I am a PR now and I always need a PR card to enter?

I can even get my father-in-law to come to the airport and show the immigration officer the actual letter received (I will have a print copy of the letter as the actual letter went to my Canadian address).

Just don't want any hassles at the airport but I think I am over-worrying. I am also worried that if I have to get a travel document I won't get it in time before I need to go to Canada to pick up my PR card, which will be within the next 2 weeks.

Hope you can put me at ease!
Thanks in advance.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've returned to Canada with Brit passport & expired PR card. I got a bit of a lecture from CBSA, but they let me back in :).

My son has too, & didn't get the Lecture!

Can your father-in-law fax or email you the letter so you have a copy on you?

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Hi lammawitch thanks for responding :)

I do have a copy of the letter (iPhone scan) which I will print and have ready to show!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
To enter Canada you do not need your PR card, or any letter, or any person to vouch for you. You are a PR and have a right to enter Canada no matter if you have your card or not. All you would need is your passport, and perhaps your COPR if you have it. But CBSA can determine your PR status without your card.

The only reason people need a travel document, is to board an airplane to Canada. Typically this is only required by people who do not hold visa-exempt passports. Since you have a visa-exempt UK passport, simply telling the airline you are flying to Canada as visa-exempt traveler should be good enough. I would refrain from mentioning your PR status, since in that case the airline may demand to see a valid PR card to allow boarding, and there will be no way to convince them you're a PR with an expired card.

In some cases airlines are reluctant to let people fly to Canada on a 1-way ticket with no special status, though in majority of cases it's ok. Worst case if they demand a return ticket (if you don't already have one) you can always just buy a fully refundable one on the spot and cancel it as soon as you're issued your ticket.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
thanks Rob!

the people have spoken! hopefully this will help someone else who is in the same situation

thanks again to both :)