+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Resident for one month and currently living with Canadian Citizen

uday

Apr 7, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Hello All,
Living in the USA, I got my PR in May 2005 and it expires in May 2010. I entered Canada about 3 times on different occasions in 2005 & 2006 (to apply for SIN, open a bank account, look for jobs etc) but all these trips would not add to more than a month. In March of 2008, I got married to a Canadian Citizen and have been living with her in US ever since. Now my question is, Can I apply for the renewal of my PR card before it expires (on the grounds that my spouse is a Canadian citizen and I have been living with her). If yes, then
a. When can I apply?
b. Can I apply from US?
c. What is the procedure.

Can someone please help me in this.

Thanks for your time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply before your card expires as long as you have not spent more than 1095 days outside Canada since you became PR. Time outside Canada living with a Canadian spouse doesn't count so you should be safe.

However, you can't apply from the US. PR cards are only issued to PR's living in Canada. Once you move to Canada, you can apply for your PR card renewal.

uday

Apr 7, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Hello Leon,
Thanks for your reply. It's comforting to know the law of 1095 days (and to realize that I married before the 3 year period...:) . I plan to live in US for another 2 years and then move back to Canada with my spouse. Now, can I make a trip to Canada before my PR card expiry and apply for renewal from Canada giving a friend's address in Canada?
If I do not renew my PR before it expires, I'm afraid I'll lose the PR and I will not be able to get back into Canada after 2 years. What do you think?
Thanks for your time.

Uday.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

uday said:
Hello Leon,
Thanks for your reply. It's comforting to know the law of 1095 days (and to realize that I married before the 3 year period...:) . I plan to live in US for another 2 years and then move back to Canada with my spouse. Now, can I make a trip to Canada before my PR card expiry and apply for renewal from Canada giving a friend's address in Canada?
If I do not renew my PR before it expires, I'm afraid I'll lose the PR and I will not be able to get back into Canada after 2 years. What do you think?
Thanks for your time.

Uday.
You can use the friends address, but you realize you have to pick up the card in person?

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will not lose your PR status just because your PR card expires. If you go to Canada and apply for a PR card using a friends address, they will send you a letter when it's ready to that address and you will have to go to the CIC office in that town and pick it up. Do not try to mail your PR card application from the US giving your friends address because they will see the postage stamp and suspect you are not living in Canada.

uday

Apr 7, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Leon and PMM for your replies. I initially used my friend's address in Toronto while applying for PR card. Now for reapplication can I use a different address in Vancouver or will that create any issues. Please advise. Also, looks like I'll need an original form for IMM 5455 for renewal and it can only be mailed to a Canadian address.

Also Leon -> If I do not renew my PR card and let it expire, then how would I enter Canada in the future? How do I prove my residence at the port of entry? Can you please explain.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Uday.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are entering Canada by car, you can use your landing papers to get in but if you are coming by plane, you should apply for a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy before you go.